Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bullet Proof 700R4 ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Nov 29, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just got off the phone with Art Carr (artcarr.com) racing tranmissions and they say they have a 700R4 that can sit behind a very healthy big block. I guess they produce most of their own parts as well as redesign how some of the stock parts work. But be prepaired to spend major bucks, I got a price around 2,299. not including converter, but then again these are not even close to being a 700R4 anymore. Does anyone have one of these that can give some input? Their toll free number is 1-888-526-5868
    We need to get Ken to call these guys and ask more specific questions, he has lots of experience with 700R4's (6 of them?)

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Steve, I was looking into a 700R4 to eventually replace my TH350 and some one here (I think it was Emmetology 101) recommended a website (700r4.com) to look at. The price they quoted me was around $1025 for a bullet proof 700. There is some other options that they recommend that put the price right at $1500 but that deals with the conversion that I'm looking at.
    Don't know if you tried them or not. Be interesting to find out what would be the best bet in the long run.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Also try Rossler Transmission. They build trannies for all the top Hot Rodders like John Lingenfelter, and they have built many tranies for the cars that run the Fastest Streetcar in America competitions....

They just recently quite doing stock rebuilds and are now only doing racing/modified trannies.

I am sure they can build one hell of a 700r4!!!

Their number is 1-330-530-5000 and they are about 30 mins from me.

My friend had his 700 built by them, they added a shift kit and some stronger parts and TQ converter for $1500. This was for an 89 GMC heavy half ton with a 383 and 38's.

Let me know if you call them and what they have to say.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

just get a 4l80e i heard it is not to hard to get the harness for them and then you have overdrive and can handle some 500 ft/lbs stock. i know you want that lower 1st gear on the 700r4 but how much lower is it .5:1? and if you run a doubler i dont think you will need that lower 1st gear

[​IMG] SMP

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

In all honesty, when you start talking about $2300 to go to a stout 700R, what would be the price difference for a 4L80E. Sure it's computer controlled, but hell steve, you've already got one puter sitting in there, why not give it some company.

Just my $.02 My 700 has got 190,000 miles on it and still works just fine. I'm not counting on it holding up when I put the big block in, but I'll adress that when I get there. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

6. CK5

The 4l80 also adds about 3" in length to the all ready short Blazer wheelbase. But I will check into it of course [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

My theory (like it means anything) is just like the 500HP 350 chevy engine. To get that amount of power you have to be on the feather-edge of durability and ceratainly parts-availability. The 700R4 can be modified to take lotsa power, but for that HUGE amount of money you can get a nicely prepped TH400 and throw the leftover cash at the 454.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

So these "Bullet Proof" 700r4's come with a waranty? For that kind of money I'd expect at least a couple year waranty. Heck $2300 is a heck of a lot of money to throw at a tranny.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

10. CK5

They have a 1-year warranty but said they would treat you right if you had any problems. Realsquash - that is a very good theory.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Define important. It's all user preference. For me, sure, overdrive is that important. My truck is being built as a dual purpose machine. While sure, I'd love to have a tow rig for it, I don't, I also don't have a daily. I'm kinda setting out to prove that you can build one that will handle everything you throw at it and still drive you to work in some semblance of comfort come monday morning. My biggest chalenge is going to be able to continue to knock out 15 mpg. But I'm gonna give it a shot.

BTW, the steeper 1st can be a plus. There are a lot of people who aren't a fan of O/D's especially the 700 (KEN!!). No sweat, run what ya like. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5