Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bulletproofing the doors and tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of gathering up supplies for my upcomming restoration and wanted some opnions. We all know the joys of the Blazer tailgate, when water gets in the bottom of the doors/tailgate and rust forms. I'm thinking about lining the insides of them with 3M Rust Fighter I and if there is any rust already, Corroless. 3M says it designed to replace the factory corrision "proctection" (I think they were asleep at the wheel on the K5s, lol [​IMG]. It would nice to not have to worry about the tailgate/doors rusting from with in. I've got such a huge tab going but the K5 is more than worth

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

In my opinion most of the rust "problems" have occured thru neglect. If you make sure your drain holes don't plug up and rinse out the areas with clean water after muddin' or salt roadin' you'll help your Blazer allot. Any good rust preventative would help also. I'm sure if ya wanted to go thru the expense any metal part could be galvanized....not sure. It's not a big problem for us Texas boys.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I know the rust problem is mostly GM's lack of doing anything to prevent it. While replacing the floors of my 75 I found the dreaded rocker boxes didn't even have so much as paint in them little lone rust proofing. The cover over the filler neck on my 79 was the same way. No paint on the back side. The tail gate on my 79 is rotting out in the back and I pulled it appart thinking I would find 10 pounds of crud...none. No paint down in the hard to reach lower corners. Also found that the guide tracks for the window has rusted off at the bottom and you guessed it....only painted on one side the other was bare metal. No the rust problem is GM. When I re did the doors on my 75 and welded up the 2 dozen or so pin holes and sand blasting out the rust I got some of the Duplicolor "bed liner" stuff they sell at Autozone. It's really a thick paint. I swamped the inside bottom half of the door with the stuff to try to prevent any more rust.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing when gutting the tailgate and getting some 'bedliner' material coating the whole interior panels.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

That's going to be my approach Joe; either bed liner or POR 15. I'm getting the floor & underside of the tub rhino-lined and was thinking that a thin coat in the gate and door bottoms might not be a bad idea either.
    Hopefully, that'll be the end of the rust for alot of years!

Brian
    89KBlazer

6. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Have you got a Rhino liner dealer near you or are you using a different brand? I was thinking of using Herculiner when I do it this summer.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I got my whole truck rustproofed as soon as I got it in Michigan (it came from Arizona, so it looks oddly different than the Michigan K-5's [​IMG]). I used a place that sprays some kind of real thick, sticky grease inside every body panel and all over the frame and undercarriage. It covers everything and on a really hot day, it will even move a little bit, so that it continually covers everything and keeps it isolated from moisture. You just have to go back every couple of years for a touch up. It was $180 for the initial job and like $30 for a touchup. This process eliminates the cracking and moisture-trapping characteristics of traditional undercoatings like Zeibart.

<font color=blue>Boulder Sunday Camera:"How we feel about ourselves is the core of self-esteem"</font color=blue>