Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumber w/ air

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGDAN112686, Dec 8, 2002.

1. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever heard of using an air-tight tube bumber to store air to fill tires with? a relative of mines friend did this on his jeep, by welding in a outlet to his bumber then using his compressor and a custom hose to fill the bumber, then use it to air up the tires after a trail ride. sounded like a good idea to me, and somethin i'd interested in and was wonderin if anyone was doin this.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've heard of people doing that, and i've also heard that its illegal in some states. I think its a good idea, but i'd be a little worried with all that pressure in the bumper if you hit something or get hit really hard, what is going to happen to all that compressed air....BOOOOOOOM. I don't know this to be fact, just passing along what I've heard, also I have thought about doing this myself /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Do a search, this has been covered many times. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

In short, it won't hold a lot of air, but if you decide to do it, weld up the seams very good. NO PINHOLES! Do a pressure test on it, and you're off to the races. A lot of folks around will tell you that they'll go boom, but just stop and think about it a minute. We're talking about 150 lbs pressure max. That's about all you can get into it with a shop compressor. 150 lbs of pressure in a 3/16" tank. Oh yeah, someone hits you, it's like hiroshima, shrapnel everywhere, people dying on the sidewalk...Yeah right /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I used my rear bumper as an air tank. It worked out to about a 2 gallon capacity. Not enough to do a any good but it did smooth out the air flow from my onboard Yorks compressor. I purposly left my system a little leaky and after about an hour it would go down to around 40 pounds and hold there. If you get hit, I dont think your bumper is going to "explode" or "gernade apart" like some people who have never messed with it will claim. I think you are safe to do it but without an on board compressor to back it up, It might not be worth the effort.