Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bummed Out Losing My Job!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by blazindorito, Mar 27, 2007.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Just found out that after April 1st I will no longer have a J..O..B. :frown1:

I am stressing a lot. What to do next? I haven't had to look for a job since 1994. I don't even know what to look, ask, or????

I will start working on my resume. I'll see what happens. Will be praying for guidance.

2. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

Start looking at places that do the same type of work you used to do and ask them. Prepare a resume get some good references. You should be fine. It might take a little time. Did you get laid off? Will you be able to draw unemployment?

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

what line of W. O. R. K. were you in?

4. blazindorito

I am/was a Middle school math teacher. Can't renew because of my credential expiring and not being able to renew it because I didn't finish a class and poor advice by my guidance counselor.

Will be selling tupper ware, sex toys and an kind of parties I can come up with.

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well at least you still have your sense of humor....

uh you were kidding right?

6. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

:haha: Sorry just found that funny Zim.

Best of luck on the job hunt.

7. blazindorito

Anybody want to buy a big I mean huge rubber schlong? :wink1:Just kidding. Yeah I'm kidding about the TupperWare:whistle:

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you ever wanted to try something else, now is your chance. worse case scenario would be you get a job doing what you thought you might like, it sucks and you need to find another job.

You control your fate. if you put the effort out, you will fine.

9. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

The same kind of deal spurred me back into school, now I'm about to graduate in4 weeks and allready got a good paying gig. the ball is in your court.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you want to change fields of take things up another level now is your chance. Don't forget to see if you are eligible for any kind of tuition reimbursement while you are out of work. Hang in there, if put the effort into it you make this a positive.

11. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

I'm a youngen and nobody really cares about my opinion, but I'd go back to school. Education is something that can never be taken from you. Whatever you do don't sit around the house, go out there and make things happen. Finish your resume and put it on monster.com or careerbuilder.com, they work. I'm 19 and having dealerships going back and forth trying to get me on there payroll and its a great feeling of being wanted (job wise). Just pick your self up, dust your self off, and go to it like there aint tomorrow.

12. blazindorito

That's why I posted in the lounge about my situation, I knew that I would hear postive comments. I have been very active since yesterday finding info. aon what I need to get back into school to finish 1 class, and signing up for another one online from a diff. University. I am very confident that It will work out.

Iwaxmyjimmy, it doesn't matter if you are a youngin I found your comment to be very true and helpful.

Thanks to everyone for your pos. Comments.
    '

13. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

It is very important to create a new resume'. You old one may be outdated and honestly human resource departments change their view point on what they want to see on resume's. Don't go overkill. It really pays to hire an agency to write a new one.

I recommend substitute teaching until you finish your certification and then resubmit your resume to get your old job back.

Oh, and kick that guidence counselor in his undercarriage. Good luck, brother.

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Take this opportunity as a new beginning, since it looks like you don't have a say in your future with them.

It's a little scary but try to see it as a way to expand your horizon/resume'.

Good luck, and may the force be with you!

15. suspectdon

suspectdon 1/2 ton status

You could alo slook in to private school teaching, or a school like "montisory"(spelling) they requirer thier own cred's so you might be able to teach and get a pay check while doing thier cert's.

Good luck
    you'll make it happen. keep a good out look.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what he said. Private school. Either that, or flip burgers while you complete whatever classes you need to recertify. If you've been teaching since 1994, it seems like you have a lot to lose as far as benefits from your current job (retirement, health coverage etc). I think you should talk to the administrators, tell them your problem and that you'd like to take a term, or year, or whatever you need off to recert but you'll be back. Might be able to leave a door open 4 ya.

j

17. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good thinking J, don't just throw those benefits away, if their worth something.

18. blazindorito

Thanks guys I am being very positive and have talked to the Principal from the school. He is making a couple of call on my behalf. We'll see if something good happens. Regardless I know that everything will work out at its due time. Thanks everyone.

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you need any help with your resume, feel free to ask. My wife does resumes for a living, and would be more than willing to set you up. :thumb: