Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bummer conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stephan van leir, Jul 29, 2000.

1. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Has anyone seen Jim Allen`s Bummer conversion in Four Wheeler this month? Do you like it? Do you think that they are a good idea? Me, I think that another diesel blazer has been destroyed, but it is kinda` cool too.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I hate it. There was nothing wrong with their Blazer but they said it looked like a roach. Now it just looks like a heep. I agree that they destroyed a perfectly good diesel Blazer

90K5

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If I ever destroy the body of my 75 beyond reasonable repair I'm there if the price is around $2k. For those of us with rusted out hulks it gives us a viable alterantive. You can't argue with 38's and no lift and loosing 2,000 lb.
    My only problem is the K5 models are not set up to easily carry 4. I have 2 kids and while yes they set hat up 4 wide I belived I would be elbowing my kids in the current configuration that they used. I would have set the extra seat in the bed area. I hope to see a full top that would cover the bed and that will make me more interested. I also like the rear tank and they bob the rear of the frame so the tanks have to be relocated. While thats great for the trail I hate the loss of cargo room and I'm not to thrilled with the saddle tanks. I would be interested in a revised design that would fit the frame without cutting the rails and relocating the tank.
    Did anybody try the URL listed?It's wrong. its http://www.bummer-kit.com

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Sure it's a great alternative to a totally rusted body, but I think I could buy another not-so-rusted K5 for the price I would shell out for a Bummer Kit. The basic kit is $5495, and the Deluxe version is $6695. The one that is in FourWheeler cost over $6463.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I hate it. If i wanted a Hummer I would try and buy one. They look stupid. It your Blazer is too heavy, buy a Rav4 or some POS like that. The only thing remotley intresting about this is the fact the the aftermarket actually knows that people with Blazers and Jimmys are still aorund. Kinda cool from that prespective, but other than that..... you have a buggey, not a blazer.

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

6. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

we payed 6500 for my rust free 90 and the 350 in it works good I thank the bummer is a waste of money but it looks cool just cost too much

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't care for the Bummer kits at all, it does not even look like a Hummer at all, if your into that kind of thing check out http://www.urbgorilla.com their 4 door kits really look like a hummer, the pic below is a 79 Blazer.
    [​IMG]

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

8. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Wow, I had no idea that they are so costly. Now I really don`t get why you would do this! It`s like building a Harley Davidson with Jap parts! Just a wanna be!

9. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to offend anyone but these "bummers" look stupid. I would love to have a hummer but I don't have an extra $85,000 lying around and there is no substitute for the real thing. Plus if your a true blazer fan you like blazers because they look tough not because they can be made to look like a deformed hummer.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

10. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I agree! I always thought that truck was tastefully built as a blazer. BUT, in the overall scheme of off-road ability, nothing has as large of an effect as the bummer body.

To each his own, but that WAS a sharp lookin blazer.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I actually liked the K5 body better. Those Bummer bodies are a Fake Hummer and everyone knows it. I have a real K5 no doubt about it! [​IMG] Hey Stephan, did you recieve the parts? I sent them last week.

Email me.

Thanks,

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

12. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I really like them! lots of weight to be lost, looks "different" I don't like all the modifying that you have to do to it though. 38's without a lift...man

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

To tell you the truth, I think K5's look tons better than a Hummer, let alone a Bummer. Forget that man, dumb lookin and cost way too much dough. With that kind of money, you can turn your rotted out K5 into very capable trail rig that looks like a show truck.
    Boss

14. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I think it's pretty damn ugly. Kinda cool that they would use a Blazer for the base. Obviously, they used the best vehicle they could find.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I didn't care much for the Blazer size body. It looked out of scale to me. However, I think the LWB kits (Sub & crew cab) look great. Another thing, they can be had with the beef to run 38s from the factory. Add a small lift and 40s on a "hummer" oh yea! There are 4 companies that I know of that make these and you can use the running gear of your choice-why you wouldn't use Chevy is beyond me-so the custom feature is there, too. As far as the Blazer kit it is hard to argue with the weight loss. MPG is up and breakage is down. If you are building for FUNCTION and not form this lets you keep the good points of a Blazer and not turn the thing into a "hybrid". Those in the Southeast know what I am talking about. My $0.02, Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with most of you that the original Blazer body looks better, but the 2,400 lb. weight loss can make up for at least a little of the ugliness. The full convertible feature and more clearance in the wheelwells is also a big bonus, and is probably a more practical body style if you are into serious fourwheeling.

17. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

Well their are companies that make fiberglass replicas of any car or truck you want. So if you really want to loose the weight you could get them to mold you a fiberglass Blazer body with bigger fender wells. This would shed some weight and gain some clearence for a lot less than that fony hummer kit. My 2 cents.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"