Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bummers?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 15, 2001.

Steve:
    I saw on the ORD site that you did some wheeling with a couple of Bummers. What's your opinion about the Bummer? I've been looking at them as part of my '75 Dodge buildup. I think the idea is very cool, but I'd love some first-hand opinions.

1. DougP

DougP Registered Member

OK, no response, I guess I should introduce myself first?
    I'm here for the ORD board, hoping to use some of their stuff when I get my project started this year. I'm working on a '75 Dodge PowerWagon (not looking for any Chevy v. Dodge fights, but I assume Fords are fair targets?)
    My plans for the truck are: rebuild the 440 and tranny, add a 205 and Doubler to the 203 I have, add a D60 up front, and either a D60, D70, or 14 bolt in the rear.
    Lift will either be a 6" with a 1" body lift and 35-38" tires, depending what fits, or else I will replace the body with a Bummer (http://www.bummer-kit.com) and use a small (2.5"??) lift and 40" tires.

I'm hoping someone here has seen or driven a Bummer and can give me some details about the quality.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

A little patience here, there's only one of me! I
    don't really care what you drive, I have very little brand loyalty. Every manufacturer had good and bad stuff in their trucks, GM's just kick butt because there were so many of them. Throw a few million extra dodges and this might be coloradoramcharger.com!
    On the Bummer subject: They're pretty awesome trucks when they're all together. I've really only been around Aaron Clough's and Jim Allens. Aaron's was particularly impressive since it's a really tall vehicle (6" suspension and tall body) with 44's and still has a nice low CG. Putting extra people in it dramatically changes the body roll characteristics!
    They are also pretty light compared to a steel GM body which really helps.
    The downside is they are a BIG body. They are fully as wide as the original truck, but with better clearance under the rockers.
    General construction seems very sound. They are only as comfortable as you make them, and there are a few quirks to work around (rear floor is really flat so tall people have no legroom) but overall they're a pretty good setup.
    Your recipe sounds good, I'd plan on 38's or 40's on the bummer body. They have pretty big fender holes. Aaron's 40's like to rub the tub just a little on full flex, and the 44's are of course a little worse, but all in all, they were pretty easy to fit.
    What I'd really like to see is a similar body but about 12-15" narrower. The whole thing would have to be scaled down, but you'd have a really nice compact body then!
    Hope this helps

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. DougP

DougP Registered Member

Thanks for the info, sorry I seemed rushed. Lost track of time, working to long, I guess. I'm sure you know what that's like!
    I read about the Bummer in Fourwheeler, seems like a way cool truck. I actually like that they're so big, I usually wheel in open country. Eventually I'll build something else for the steep and narrow stuff.
    On to other questions:
    How are things going with your new Dodge products? I'm hoping that the shackle flip kit will be a big plus. I've been thinking of ways to get rid of the factory rear blocks.
    Is the Gen2 Doubler available for the Dodge 203 yet?

DougP

4. The Doubler is now pretty universal between GM Ford and Dodge. The dodges will still need to use a GM 205, just because the married dodges are hard to find, and you could use a dodge, just with some changing around. Beyond that, we can do it!
    We're still doing some prototype work on the dodge flip kit, figuring out how much angle change we get, etc, so it's coming along. We're looking at building it to just a 2-3" lift to eliminate the factory blocks.
    If you're anywhere around Moab this Easter, there's going to be a whole herd of bummers running around, you could probably talk to Rich Tolbert at Tatonka to set up a chance to take a look at all of them if you want.
    Thanks

5. DougP

DougP Registered Member

Very cool news, thanks.
    Not much chance of me getting to Moab this year. We're working towards our first product release so we'll be pretty busy for the next 6 to 8 months.
    I'd love to trade some email with the folks at Tatonka, but their web site contact info does not include an email address. I want to talk to them about mounting the Bummer on a fullsize Dodge longbed frame.
    DougP

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I like the idea of a lightweight, rust-proof replacement body, with lots of tire clearance, but I agree with Stephen about the width. I was looking on the Bummer site, and these things are not cheap! With a body that wide, you're more likely to damage it seriously. I would like to see something narower, and without J**p doors (yuck)!! This sounds like a cool truck you're building.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]