Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bump steer help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyjeff, Aug 23, 2004.

1. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

Looking for ideas for curing my bump steer issue. after doing my 4" tci lift and adding my 35" bfg all terrains and steel wheels, I notice I have a pretty good case of the bump steer. When the truck hits a bump going while going straight the wheels seem to move the steering wheel really hard. The truck will go straight when hitting bumps but the steering wheel jerks left and right. Everything is new on the front axil and suspension. I installed a dual stabilizer and it helped but it seems to be doing it worse again. I was thinking about doing two things to help the bump steer. One is adding a drop pitman arm to go along with the raised steering arm already on the truck, the second is to install another shock on each side on front as it came from factory (quad shock) (only used one shock per side front when I did the lift) Only other thing I can think is the steering box is tired but there isnt much slop in it either. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

If everythings new and tight, the only thing I could think is to check the frame for cracks where the steering box bolts to the frame. I had one that went from the bolt hole to the front bumper bracket holes. It was very hard to see without removing the steering box but you could feel it on the inner frame. You could probally get away with just loosening the box. Hope this helps.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I had (and still have) the same issue-. THe difficulty is trying to "locate" the axle in the same relative position as the leaf springs compact/expand.

In a basic way, the stock "flat" or "negatively arched" springs acutally helped control this condition- Since the springs couldnt really expand any flatter. THe stock sway bar also helped control the location of the axle.

When you add a lift, and the spring pack is no longer flat, but positively arched, the axle movement is different than the original design. As such, you have to play around with drop pitman arms and raised steering arms to get the right combination.

You can also get track bars, but they limited suspension articulation.

4. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

rechecked all components last night and everthing is tight. steering box mount is all good also. Has anyone ever heard of the raised steering arm being to tall for a 4" lift? I was also wondering if it could be a hydraulic issue w/ the ps pump.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

isnt the raised arm 4"?
    if so I would say that it is definitely too long
    your draglink should angle down towards the rear to 'minimize' bumpsteer
    having it parallel to the ground just ensures it will always pull towards oncoming lane when it bump steers

6. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

checked the drag link and it does angle down twords the arm.
    about 3/4"-1". right now it tends to bump into the pass side lane.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

unhook the swaybar and test drive for bumpsteer