Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bump steer Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AMorris1, Mar 9, 2001.

1. AMorris1

AMorris1 Registered Member

I have a 84 K5 blazer with 33 x12.5 BFG's. I just installed a 4" Procomp lift to accomidate the larger tires, and since I installed the 4" steering arm that was supposed help my steering, bump steer went from almost non existant to very noticible. I have talked with the folks down at 4WP wholesalers several different times and have gotten a different answer everytime... take the arm off, get an alignment, etc. I think an alignment is probably my next bet, but will this really fix it, or will I have to live with it to a certain extent. Anything else I might try. I installed the lift myself, so is it possible that I didn't do something right? Any helpful comments would be appreciated!

2. zrobbinsk5

zrobbinsk5 Registered Member

im running a 4" superlift and 33x1250 BFG muds also and there is a bit of bumpsteer to a certain extent, nothing severe, but im sure it would be worse without the steering arm.

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

you need a steering box brace have a friend watch as you turn the wheels and be amaxed as you see the steering box move,I need to order on also so I know how it feels My wife wont even drive it right now

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Did you tighten everything up with the load on it?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

5. FWP

FWP CRS

AMorris1- you're right, an alignment is your first best bet. It's not expensive, saves your tires, and you can learn alot. Find a shop you can trust, watch the alignment, and talk to the tech doing it. They will pick out any steering issues right away, and show you what's wrong. Whenever you buy a set of brand new rubber you should get an alignment. Most good tire dealers will tell you to get one.

The ORD steering brace is an excellent idea as well- (installed before the alignment)

[​IMG]