Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bump stops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Jun 10, 2006.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Where can I find longer bump stops for the front? I've cut all the way back to the inner fender but only have 1/4 " clearance at full static stuff. I would like a longer bump stop to prevent fender contact...

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same boat, except I need to limit uptravel to prevent damage to my springs again. I'm just planning on putting a small chunk of 1/4"x2" square tube on the factory BS location and putting the factory BS on the other side of the tube, basically dropping the factory BS down 2"

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, that is the easiest and cheapest method. Just insert a piece of 2x2x1/8" or 1/4" steel inbetween the stock bumpstop and its mount. Easy, cheap, simple, effective.

Harley

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Good idea, I'll give it a shot.

Between the first post and now I went and re-flexed the truck and was able to make contact between the tire and fender. The spring had a small amount of negative arch, so I'm sure it was almost all it would give. I had at least 4 inches between the bump stop and spring plate.

I think I will hack some more off the fender. I didn't want to, but I need to. The cuts look good right now, but I'll do some digging to find some others that have cut more than me. I will probably pull the inner fenders out, then cut the outer, and re-install the inner and bend it to shape.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Just to add to the info, If you're gonna wheel it hard. Remove the rivets on the factory bump stop, and put some G8 bolts instead. The rivets will come loose with extended use of the bumpstop. Mine are about ready to fall off.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Will do. I'm trailering to the trail now, so it will be no mercy for the trail or the truck!

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I'll post up a pic after I cut and hack...