Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bump stops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Mar 5, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I need to get some new bumpstops. What is a good way to figure out the best size for your truck? I've got 4" of lift, but I've heard that 4" bump stops aren't always the best way to go. Suggestions?

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Many times bumpstops are overlooked... but they are a vital part of your suspension.

I'd suggest gettin' under there and seeing what's gonna bottom out first, then take some measurements and buy whatever size stop you need to keep a "hard bottom" from happening. Remember that the bumpstop will compress a little too, so you wanna make sure that you got a little "fudge factor" in there.....

I've found that rubber "dock" bumpers can be used sometimes and are a lot cheaper than fancy Urethane ones...

Marv

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Find a place you can stuff the tires pretty good, like an RTI ramp. Check for binding suspention parts and make sure your shocks don't fully compress and blow the seals out. Once you check everything you can take a measurement of what you will need. I have not checked into getting them yet but I believe you can get some longer bump stops and cut them down to what you need. I talked to Scott at Rockstomper about this and he gave me some ideas but the big thing he talked about was the shocks. He said he learned the hard way when he was testing his rig on the RTI and blew 2 brand new RS9000's.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've heard that your axle can also use them to pivot off of which helps flex.
    Just to clarify, bottoming out you're talking about something like if the truck were to jump...not flex, right? (sorry for the stupid question /forums/images/icons/blush.gif)

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well flex also. I had to lower my front stops to prevent my drive shaft and shocks from bottoming. If you have soft suspension it's a need. My rear runs out of travel just short of the shocks bottoming out.
    When I relocate the front axle and shocks I'm going to look at the 4 inch Polly's. those do compress and that's what I want. If I come down hard it will act as a spring and slow the axle down instead of a sudden bottom out that would be more likly to damage something.
    On my truck I have a 2 inch spacer on the factory stops and 4 inches of lift. Once I relocat the shocks and adress my drive shaft bottoming out I think the 4 inch pollys are going to work out just right.
    Like Marv said, get it flexed out and see where your going to have problems. Then I would get with Stephen and find out how much to expect in compresion from the polly jobs so you can figure out if you need to locate them down to prevent shocks and drive shafts from bottoming out..

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I installed a set of 4 1/2" competition stops from ORD back when I had all my rubbing problems. These bump stops are 1.5" longer than the factory ones. They also have slots in them that act more like a cushion with give than a hard chunk of rubber. Like Grim said, it slows down the axle instead of stopping it so abruptly. Mine helped me to keep from rubbing the front fenders by limiting travel a bit and also helped with landings since I don't have a front truss.

I would highly recommend them.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/bumpstops.htm