Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumper Air Tanks Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dallin, Jan 25, 2006.

?

Should I make the bumper an air tank?

1. Yea

95 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. Nay

44 vote(s)
    31.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I'm building a rear bumper. Should I make it air tight and use it for an air tank? Yea or Nay & why?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have used two rear bumpers as airtanks and it worked out great!

I have heard some pretty funny things about it though. I had one guy claim I was driving a gernade around and other people thought a hard hit could split the bumper and cause it to blow up. Like a 100 pounds of airs going to do anything to 3/16" thick bumper material. Pretty funny stuff.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Yes I would. Will you have on-board compressor and will this be a daily driver? There shouldnt be any problems as long as you are using thick enough steel. Personally I would only have it pressurized when I go out wheeling. Wouldnt drive around town with it pressurized. Guess Im just paranoid.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No reason not to - it would be a convienent place to have a little air on the trail.

5. nm4x4

nm4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes,
    I made one out front and it works great. I also have the small MV-50 air comp. mounted on the inner fender under the hood. Cheap and easy, plus you will never know when you will need it! I have used it mainly to help people with flats on the side of the road. I have also had ignorant people think it is going to explode :doah: ; at most it could burst a weld and drain out.
    Long story short, DO IT!!

6. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input everyone. I've heard a few people say they can explode, but I can't find anyone who has seen it happen. I'm making my bumper out of 2x6 .188 wall. I think it'll hold 120 PSI just fine. I'm currently using a CO2 tank, but I'd like to get a York. I figured it would be easier to build the tank now than down the road after everything is finished. I just wanted to make sure there isn't some drawback I haven't considered.

7. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i think those bumpers are cool , my buddy has a custom set that his dad made for him . he made his were the front bumper holds enough to air the front 2 tires and the back has enough to air the back tires . it works good on the 38's he's running. i was thinking about pay n him to make me some , anyways thought it was cool. :D

8. BIGRED74K20

BIGRED74K20 Registered Member

oh yah

oh yah i have one on the front of my truck, with a air compressor in the engine bay with a inline pressure regulator. i would go a minimum of 3/16 tho. but dont plan on raming anything cause it will probable screw it up. mine is made out of 3/8 thick- 5" O.D tubing with cross braces to the frame for added strength.

CircusZoo 016.jpg

9. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

The vote says 25% nay, but nobody has posted why. Post up nays, what's the reason.

10. 91BurbDude

91BurbDude Registered Member

I'm sure it would be fine. I watched the episode of MythBusters and they shot a scuba tank with a rifle to dispell the JAWS myth. No way it could explode. As soon as the bullet made the hole the air leaked out and the tank flew around like a missle. Of course they put the tank and gun inside a metal storage container and remote triggered the gun. Once a hole or rupture occures the air blasts out. Just like shaking a coke bottle to build up pressure and then opening the cap thus producing a hole for the pressure to release.

11. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

:shame: I heard that bumpers as air tanks may not be legal as far as DOT is concerned :deal: , but how would they check and how often. I'd check with the DOT of your state just to be sure.

I don't have any problems with them, but I would deffinately protect the inlet/outlet/gauge area. Put a halo around them so they won't get knocked off in event of doing something stupid:doah: .

12. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

do it. it will not blow up or anything like that. I have a Toyota Pu on air bags with the tank under the bed hit it on all kinds of stuff no problems and its at 150 psi. My Friends have run around with nitrogen tanks at 2400 psi.you will be fine. do you have a compressor yet? If you need any help let me now

13. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

think about it, if the tank is pressureized, it will be harder to dent and damage, the psi is not large enough to explode by a puncture, if ya want to see what happens, take a old propane tank, fill it with air to the psi desired, and go shoot it with a nice size rifle, make sure ya are away from anythgin, i aint exactualy sure how the added pressure will affect the penetration, as for shooting steel, i shoot 1" plate plingers out on the farm and the military guns go through 3/4" and its safe.. about 100 yrds...

as for a compresor, couldnt ya use a a/c compressor, that is if ya want to...

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You can use an a/c compressor but they are oiled by the refrigerant unless of course you get a york !

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had one

My 74 K20 came with a "air tank bumper" when I got it..it was homebuilt from schedule 40 plumbing pipe about 5" in diameter!--I took it off to put a plow frame on,and gave it to a friend..he put it on his 86 K20,and the front end drooped almost 3"..I think my plow weighed less!..

Mine was plumbed up to the OEM GM air conditioner pump(the big log style)..it was working when I first bought the truck,but after using it to run an impact wrench to take all 4 tires off,it seized and smoked the belt off it!..It pumped up to 125 psi in no time while it was working,but I guess the pump starved for oil..:doah:

I wasn't concerned because I did not plan on keeping the setup anyway..but it would be a nice thing for a trail truck to have..I see nothing really "dangerous" about it..it would go "POW" if it got hit in a crash..I doubt any serious damage would be done..only if a peice of shrapnel flew and hit someone..very unlikely IMO..:crazy:

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

After seeing Grim's airtank rocksliders hold up I wouldn't worry about a bumper. Just remember to add a drain, you can count on condensation.

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I say nay. It is illegal in many areas. And without a drain, it will rust up inside. I don't know if the puncture-explosion thing is a possibility.

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

stainless steel.....or aluminum
    now that would be a nice bumper

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

No!

I vote No.

Unless you are well versed in ASTM Pressure Vessel Design & Welding practices I wouldn't do it.

Ever think that there is a reason that you air compressor's tank has rounded ends? Are you planning on making the bumper the same way? Flat ends put huge stresses on the welds holding them on. I can go on and on and on, but I'll stop here.

Just b/c it works doesn't mean it's safe.

20. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I said nay. Reason being there is alot of unused space you can put a propper air tank on k5's and trucks. The you wouldn't have to worry about the drain plug getting knocked off when you're wheeling.
    Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.