Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumper Attachment: Anyone using valve springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Nov 10, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Trying to engineer a little flex into my bumpers for soft hits that wont damage the frame. Thinking about using two valve springs per side with 2 mounting points per spring to eliminate side to side movement. Anyone do this already and if so, how's it work? Is the real world benefit as good as the theory?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Interesting idea. I haven't tried that but I bet it would rattle to beat heck on a trail. You would have to come up with some sort of torsion bar. I bet a better way to do it would be some coil over shocks, like from an old four wheeler or.........oh....(thinking)...Honda odysee..That is what I was trying to think of. That way they will have a guide so they would not moved up on down on every bump and drive you out of the truck by rattling.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

3. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Hey John, You think it might be a b*tch to use your hi lift on as well?
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hmmm...I'm getting the feeling. Good Idea, bad application. I guess I'll figure out how to hard mount it.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

When I go wheelin' MUDNUTT usually goes with me, and that dude is <font color=green>HUGE</font color=green><font color=red>!!!!</font color=red> If I get a flat or something he just gets under my truck and bench presses it so I can change the tire, and hands me tools with his other arm. I don't need a high lift with him around. I also don't have to worry about girls beating me up anymore!!

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bryan...how about a telescoping tube with the valve spring (or other type spring) inside. Similar to the older 5 mph bumpers,
    you could still hi-lift it then and it prolly wouldn't wiggle around on bouncy trails.
    Hard mount the larger tube to the frame, then insert spring and insert smaller tube. I'm thinking slotted holes between the small and big tube and the bolts either bolted just snug or use some sort of shouldered bolt.

just some random thoughts...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

how bouts a wood bumper that'll take a little bit of a hit and bend......hmmmm.....yeah.....chicks'll dig it.....world hunger will cease....evil around the world will fall to the whim of your bad-a$$ wood bumper.....why even use lumber? how about a TREE, a fresh tree. it'll flex more.

hehehe

Tork DSR
    "Easy killer. That's technology you talk of..."
    http://www.torkpig.homestead.com

8. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

what if you just put a piece of rubber between the bumper and frame. just for a bit of cousion. or just beef up your frame so it can take the hits?

i blew my main seal.
    now my brain leaks

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok, my line of thinking is: If the hits you are planning to take are that soft that valve springs would take care of it, would they really be damaging your frame? (if solid mounted)

It just seems like too much trouble for too little gain.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com