Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumper building questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Aug 21, 2003.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, after a buddy won a local mud bog he used his winnings to purchase a tube bender. He tested it by bending some 2" schedule 40 no prob so now time for me to think about building my bumpers I've been designing. First off, my winch mount, how think of plate should be used on that? Would 3/8" be adequate or overkill? Also, I plan on making the mupers/ sliders from 1.75" but not sure the guage to use. Sch 40 would be strong but heavy. .120 wall would be alot lighter and cheaper. They are pretty triangulated style bumpers like most people build with a stinger bar and wrap around protection in the front. Suppose I could get away with using just .120 wall? Any other comments and help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have my bumpers about half finished now, when i looked at what other people were doing 3/16th came up alot for the winch mount, i couldnt find any of that locally so i went with 1/4, i figure if your going to make a mistake do it on the side of caution, its a little stronger but a little heavier too. For the tubing .120 wall seems to be the way to go, alot of people here have there entire cages made from it so will work fine.

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cool, thanks for the info

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use 10" diameter pipe, it works well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif