Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumper building

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bustah, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Bustah

Bustah Registered Member

I plan on using 2 4"X4" steel square tubing on the front and rear bumpers (thats 2 4x4 at each end) any suggestions on how thick the tubing should be?

2. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I'd go 1/4" or 5/16"

The C-channel that was on my truck was 1/4", and the PO said it worked really nicely, and had reciever holes in front and back which he used for mounting his winch too.

If your using 4X4 steel then it would be alright (in my mind atleast) to go with 1/4"

Heck! some people use 3/16". I think that would be safe in my mind aswell.

the best thing about going straight and simple is that if you do decide to with 3/16" and you beat the hell out of it. It would be easy to replace if you made up the brackets easy to transplant.

3. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

oh, and the thruck those C-channel bumpers were on is the suburban in my avatar thingy spot.

4. Bustah

Bustah Registered Member

I am hoping 3/16 would be enough if there together with a 2 inch gap between them. Held together at the ends and the brackets will be welded to both of them as well. I just don't know steel that well to make a judgement on my own. I would like them rugged enough to support a wench.