Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumper fab pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Jan 3, 2007.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

some of you may remember this bumper I started a long time ago, over a year I believe. well Im tired of it sitting so I cut the holes for the shackle mounts I machined up a long time ago also. I actually got them welded in finally. to many projects but so little time. still needs some more tube work. will post more pics as I progress

will have a stinger and tube that wraps around the sides of the fenders for side protection. it will also be a winch bumper.

Dscn1575.JPG

Dscn1576.JPG

Dscn1580.JPG

Dscn1582.JPG

Dscn1583.JPG

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks great.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Those are some nice ideas for reinforcement.

One question, why did you choose to mount the shackles vertical? Seems like they will make alot of noise banging side to side.

4. rdn2blazer

5. rdn2blazer

I knew this question would come up. well I thought that as far as pulling the shackle would line up better then up/down mount. if your pulling straight then its the same, but alot of times you have a side pull situation so I figured instead of a side load on the shackle it will swing and line up. I could be wrong but I ran with it.

also I want to be able to pin some things I have ideas on making, these will be more then heavy duty enough to support what I have in mind. I either wont leave the shackles on when wheeling or I will just string a bungy cord through one and back to the other to keep them from banging.

6. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

wont make noise if you dont run shackels in it, but if you do, im sure youll get very sick and tired of the shackel bang

my buddys 4 runner did the same thing , horizontal shackel mount, he hated it and had to leave the shackel on his rope... no biggie i guess

7. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

i like the stinger front. are you gonna be mounting a winch?

8. rdn2blazer

this is what the mount looks like up close, this is from another thread. I will probaly have the winch hook to one of them so it wont bang, I will figure something cool out or like ya said take it off. click on the attachment at bottom.

here is the shackle mount for my 2X8 rectangle tube bumper I made. Im goint to cut holes in the tube the shape of the mount then slide them in from the back then weld around the round dia and on the front face of the bumper around the mount. this is a 2.5 dia pin that I milled to 1.25 wide to just fit the shackle width. the shackle pin is 7/8 (.875) actual dia is about .870, so the hole in the mount is like .880. .005 a side clearence which is plenty. wall thickness on the mount at the hole to the outside dia is at .810. 3/4 on over in is plenty with cold rolled steel. dont use hot rolled steel. the red line is where the bumper face will be. so the shackle lug where the pin screws in will be about 1/2 in away from the face of the bumper.
    Attached Thumbnailshttp://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25313&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1150566635

9. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Come on...that little sissy bumber....jeez, what Heep did you make that for?

Just kidding man, that thing looks beef!:D

10. rdn2blazer

LOL!

not really sure yet. first it was for the blazer, but then I thought it was too heavy duty and big so I was going to throw it on the burb, then I threw the tube one on the burb instead. I dont know what Im going to do with it.

I actually like the tube one on the burb and want one for the blazer but I will build a new one for it out of some DOM tube. maybe someday if my crew cab ever gets back together I will use it for that truck. it will end up on something.