Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumper height question/idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spongeidys, Sep 7, 2005.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

i plan on getting my truck legal as it sits now with stock tires the bumper height is 37 inches i belive in pa the maxium bumper height is 30 inches my idea is to fab up a plate that would sit in the towing hitch reciver and come down to the legal height that way when i get to the trail i could also remove this metal plateish thing and just let it sit around this is primitive but it would look something like this my question now is would this pass for legal?

| |
    ¯¯¯
    ^what the plate would look like

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  2. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got my truck inspected and i needed to be at 28 inches for my one ton.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Depends a lot on state laws. In MN the "drop bumper" has to meet or exceed all SAE standards for a factory automotive bumper. You'll have to look into your local regs.

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

move to arizona, none of that crap here, just got to have mudflaps.

5. ugotdubbz

ugotdubbz Newbie

I would have to agree that it depends on your state laws. According to the laws of VA if you drop your bumpers from stock locations they will measure to your frame.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

are u sure u need it to get inspected? my truck is at 33" in VA and the legal limit with "truck plates" is 31" and i got inspected fine, they said that its the police that enforce that law....maybe ur state is different

7. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Here in mass they measure from the frame. Before that I saw guys welding up drom bumper that were about a foot high. So best way to find out is to get the state inspection book and look through it. I had one for mass IM240 when I was doing stickers and it is detailed for every vehicle. Gives legal maximums for each vehicle.

8. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Air bag suspention :p: Just let all the air out for insp. and then air it up when it's time to roll :wink1: :haha:

9. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

man i love it here in arkansas

no inspection..the law reads 54"to our headlight but i've never seen them break out any tape measure, i asked a cop friend of mine he didn't know...he had to go get the regulation book we looked it up headlights at 54 and tail lights at 72"...we laughed about that...maybe a lumina van would have that much difference between the headlight and the tail light..or that is one heck of a rake!!! can't understand why such a big difference between front and rear...we don't need mud flaps or cab lights or anything..they dont say anything when your tire sticks out a ft out of fender..i have a buddy that had an s-10 blazer that he put fullzie running gear under it even full width axleswith 35's wih like 4" of back spacing had about 4-6 inches of the tire in the fender..we got stopped they wrote him a ticket for a blown tailight....i also have a buddy that the head lights are over my head and i'm 6'...we can tag dune buggiesand homemade trikes...i'm lookin for a 350x that i can go in dmv tell them i homemade it, its a trike withe a 200cc motor cycle motor take off all size emblems grind serial and stamp my own in it like rude123456789..or some thing just way out of wack get it insured put motorcycle turn signal and tag it as a trike motorcycle...i need to find where i can buy d.o.t. atv tires also tho,but atv 1st

10. ugotdubbz

ugotdubbz Newbie

Bumper heights are not part of a vehicle inspection in Va. However there are a few cops in my area that hassles drivers of lifted trucks and will enforce the bumper height law.

11. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Anyone in Alabama know state laws? Moing there in 2 weeks and hopeing the trucks will pass.