Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumper questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Topher, Dec 22, 2000.

1. Topher

Topher Registered Member

1) Anyone know if it's illegal to run without a front bumper in N. Texas? I bashed the stock bumper on my '85, and when I removed it to trim my fenders I couldn't re-mount it (the right side is too warped now). I ask about legality because I've seen guys driving around without one...but maybe they just haven't been caught?? (I'm saving up for a SEC bumper so I thought I could get by like this for awhile...)

2) If the above IS illegal, then could I swap an aftermarket bumper from a '78 onto my '85 (bolt-in?)? Are there any frame design differences? It's not a stock bumper and I can't ID it. But I'd be happy to email a small pic of it to anyone if it'll help.

Thanks a lot! P.S. Steve love the new look & features!
    Chris

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i would guess that it is illegal, just cause it is nearly everywhere else,

Yuo should be able to switch bumpers just fine.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

are you saving for the sec bumper that has the winch on it?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It might be illegal, but you could probably get out of a ticket if you had to. The beat thing to do is to ask a cop. Where in N. Texas are you?

90K5

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

My only real concern would be your front plate. I think that if you mounted your plate up there, the cops would be less apt to ticket you, since you made the effort to stay lega; with the plate.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Topher

Topher Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

shaggyk5 - I hope you're right and that I can just switch 'em. I found my LMC catalog and noticed that the frame mounts look a little different between the '78 & '85 models....I just hope that the bolt holes are in the same place.

Confederate - Yes I'm saving up for a SEC winch bumper. Specifically, I want the tube front bumper with receiver hitch, winch mount w/ roller fairlead, and D-rings.

90K5 - I'm in the DFW area; actually I'm next door to Roanoke and close to Keller, Southlake, etc.

DBlazer - Yes I'd definitely mount my front plate up on the grille if I were to keep the bumper off.

Well I did the PhotoPoint thing & uploaded a pic of the '78's bumper here. I hope you can see it:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1414848&a=10579148&p=36011261&Sequence=0&res=high>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1414848&a=10579148&p=36011261&Sequence=0&res=high</A>

Chris

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

topher, if that doesn't work, I've got an '80 and a '79 front bumper both that you can have one of, they're just stock chrome but not doing me any good. They're in Sherman.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

8. Topher

Topher Registered Member

Thanks for the offer Bryan! However I'm going to get some brackets fabbed for the bumper I took off the '78. I tried to mount it on my '85 yesterday but it didn't fit. It seems that the previous owner had discarded the stock brackets on the '78, and then welded up his own brackets for the new bumper to mount directly to the frame. So that's what I'm going to do too, and then I'll be able to put the bumper back on the '78 when I can afford a SEC bumper for my '85.

p.s. Merry Christmas everybody!!

Chris