Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumper Reciever or Hitch?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by mini_mull, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Excuse my ignorance, but I've got a question for all you towing guys. I know a hitch is stronger than a stock bumper with a ball, but I was wondering about an aftermarket bumper with a reciever. Would a bumper with a reciever (like the 4x4 iron rear tube bumper w/reciever) be as strong for towing as a conventional hitch? Thanks in advance.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

hell ya it is, for the after market bumper setup like that. mounted to frame and pulls much staighter on frame .

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I prefer the tow hitch that is bolted to the frame. The bumpers are bolted to the frame also, but have a bracket between with less material there.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i doubt it would be as strong. not near as uch triangulation. bumpers are for jet ski's and little yard trailers. anything else you should have a hitch. just my opinion though.

Grant

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've seen too many "beefy" Ranchhand type full replacement bumpers that have a receiver hitch on them bend under a heavy load. Loading hay, we would stack maybe 100 bales onto a trailer and that would make most of those kinds of bumpers sag. I would not use them to haul anything bigger than a boat, certainly not a loaded car hauler or similar weight trailer.

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

my 91 sub has a ranch-hand on it and being concerend about it's capability, i contacted them about it.
    The reply i got back said it's listed as a class V, which is way more than i need for our 30' TT. Not sure the tounge weight, but it rolled across the scales a little over 7K....

It's BOLTED & WELDED to the frame. The think i don't care for about it is the actual location of the ball with a W/D hitch makes it about a foot or better behind where a traditional frame mount OR bumper hitch would be. I don't think that contributes much to overall stability.