Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumper Relocation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5er4Life, Oct 23, 2002.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever tried to relocate the bumpers after installing a 3" body lift? If so, how did you mount them? Is it a pain in the butt to relocate the bumpers on these trucks due to the chassis rails. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

SSB,

#1 ....Welcome to the site, please fill out a bit more of your profile to help the rest of us out! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#2 - It's possible to setup the bumpers correctly after a bodylift, however I've never seen an aftermarket "kit" offered to do it....it's probably going to be a custom job.

I'm doing that project on my K5 to deal with a 2" body lift. The main problem you will have is that the frame horns will be in the way of simply building "lift brackets" for the bumper. The lower edge of the bumper will be hitting the frame and will prevent it from tucking under properly, the way it does in the stock position. There's really no easy way to get around that except to cut off the ends of the frame rails and weld on some sort of metal plate to add some strength back.

Bracketry will all be custom, but if you "want it bad enough" you can figure out a solution.

Driving around with a 3" lift and stock height bumpers looks really goofy, huh?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Get a set of donor frame ends, cut them off at about 10 inches. Bolt them to the existing frame rails loosely at the proper height with good size bolts. Put the bumper on and tighten the bolts down equally progressive on each side. The tighten the frame to frame bolts down. You can used some sheet metal to make some nice roll pans/ skid plates from the bottom of the bumper to the underside of the tank very easily.
    I did this on a friends Pickup a while back and wish I had taken photos. It was slick and very strong.

John

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

What year was the vehicle you did this on?