Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumper weight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Feb 9, 2004.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on fabricating up bumpers for myself and possibly making a jig so I can make a couple extra sets to sell. My question has to do with weight. How much weight do you allow for your bumpers? The ones I'm designing are going to be heavy duty ladder style made out of 2"x2" square tubing with 2 shackle mounts and a hitch receiver. I also plan on making a tire carrier for the rear bumper. My worry is my design will be too heavy so I need opinions on what max weight I should shoot for for front bumper and the rear with tire carrier.

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

anyone?

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My rear bumper with dual gates, tire mount and place for jerry cans must have weighed 200+ pounds, not counting the tire. I never thought very much about it until I removed it and realized that it weighed a ton.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say except that I think being heavy is par for the course with a heavy duty rear bumper.

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

well, my rear bumper weighs in at about 180lbs. which i think is heavy but i also don't have a tailgate, roof, rear seat and soon won't have any rear gas tank either so it's pretty much the only thing keeping my rear tires on the ground.
    [​IMG]