Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Jul 26, 2004.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

ok i am building a tube bumper and want to had to hitch but since i am new to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif, what size squar tubing do i use also pic of your bumpers would great to get some ideers!

thanks!

2. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

someone, anyone know!
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For the reciever 2" is the standard IIRC /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you wanting to know what size square tubing to use on the bumper to slide the hitch in to? The piece you slide in is 2", so the bumper needs an inside measurement of a little more than 2". 2 1/2" with 1/4" wall will not work. If you have any trailer sales places or truck accesory or camper shell places near you, check with them because they might have a piece that is the exact size and comes with the ring around the end of it for extra strenght. All you do is weld it in. The piece they sell will look like what is in a factory made receiver hitch.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My local tractor supply sells just the reciever, it is about 1 foot long so you can just trim it where you want it, also reciever tubing is not the same as regular steel tubing the reciever tubing doesnt have the weld seam on the inside of the tube.
    -Chris

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Try the local farm tractor supply you can buy the receiver sections for about $10 pre drilled and ready to weld in.

If you have steel at your disposal 2.5" 3/16 wall and the slide in parts should be 2" 3/16

Front side
    [​IMG]

backside
    [​IMG]

the place here had 8", 12" and 18" receiver hitch sections ($9 up to about $21) I used two 8" pieces in the front and rear bumpers I made
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(I never miss a chance to my pics /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)