Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5texan, Aug 1, 2001.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i am building a front bumper similiar to ORDs green blazer and my question is should i use pipe or tubing and what thickness
    thanks

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You should use .125 wall tubing at a minimum. Pipe is typically weaker, and doesn't weld as well.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Yea what he said. Eric

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

4. I would go with something a bit thicker. Closer to 3/16 or 1/4 but thats just me.
    Also I dont think the tubes look good either, and the boxed type seem to have more versatility as far as mounting stuff on them.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

5. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i was figuring 3/16 at the most because if i hit something hard enough i rather the bumper bend than the frame. the ORD blazer has 2X.120 tubing for the bumper and the sliders

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yah, pipe wont bend it will break, and it doesnt weld well, UH-OH!!!! I have mine whole front Exo Cage built out of pie and it has taken some VERY serious pounding and had no problems, and it welded fine. I have seen two rigs roll with the same pipe I have and had no issues. YOu may not be able to enter NASCAR but I think a front bumper will be fine. Just my .02

autotronixcaraudio.com

7. tyler t.

tyler t. 1/2 ton status

Tubing and use .120 wall 2" -3" diameter mild steel it does not need to be any heavier for a bumper. Although if you plan to bend it at all I would go up one wall thickness to .156 wall. Just my $.02.

J:(P it's what's for dinner!