Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumpers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shooter, May 1, 2002.

1. shooter

shooter Registered Member

I have an 85'Blazer. The front and rear bumpers are starting to rust. I would like to replace them with heavy duty steel bumpers. Not chromed ones, can anyone point me in the right direction???

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Find a local 4x4 guy that can weld, and befriend him. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

If that doesn't work, you might consider a KMA. My front bump (see web shots) was made by them. Some people don't like KMA... and I agree that they are slow to deliver (took about 2 months for me)... but the bumper is well-made and I like it.

just my 2 cents.

J

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

there are some great winch bumper companies out there, SEC, 4x4 armor and others, i'd look into a winch bumper personally.

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

sec is kinda struggling right now...something about the owner is sick and in the hospital i think

might wanna check with steve

Later

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Check out mine!!! A fellow CK5 member made these for me, <font color=orange>BIGJ</font color=orange>. Check this link out:

http://community.webshots.com/album/35650184HieSfY

Let me know what you think. And if you are interested, PM Jeff (BigJ), and ask him for prices.

Thx!
    -Dan

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree with jekbrown, find someone with a welder and some good metal and you have bumpers! Mine are 3" x 5" rectangular tubing with 5/16" wall thickness and some 3" channel welded to it for the bumper brackets, then its all bolted to my frame with several 1/2" Grade 5 bolts. They're tough and plus I can pick them up by myself without getting a hernia. I can also unbolt them anytime for modifications. When I get a winch, I'll weld on whatever I need to support it and the fairlead.

Will

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Let me hitch a ride on this thread...

Anybody have a rear winch bumper? I really like the KMA but i'm seeing alot of negative comments on delivery times (as previously mentioned). if anyone has a KMA rear I'd love to see some pictures. Renuel (sp?) stuff is really nice but $750 for a rear bumper is just not in my budget.

8. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

try LMC i think LMC.com , they have paintable steel bumpers for $99.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nvr... go to...

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/kma/

has pics of a KMA rear bump on a K5. If its not to your liking, KMA will make mods to the design of the thing, often without charge (did for me anyway!).

If the delivery time is the problem, being a little proactive via the phone would prolly get you your bump in short order. I wasn't going to be installing mine for several months when I ordered it... so the wait was not really a big deal to me.

J

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status