Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumpers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for pics of rear bumpers using 2x4 or5 steel. I tried a search but the results were a little vague. Matter of fact the results had nothig to do with rear bumpers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Anyway Im looking to build a rear bumper that tucks into the body a little better than my junkyard bumper.

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to build my rear bumper. I've bought 2X6X1/8th. I'm whittling up a wood pattern first just to get everything lined up and because it's easier to fiddle with a piece of 2X8 wood than 2X8 steel.

I'm building it sealed to use as a air tank for on-board air and it will have two D-Ring mounts. Hopefully, I'll get the rough design finished and maybe get it mounted up this weekend.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Dunno why, 2x6 seemed really big, even compared to the 2x5. I'm going to cut 90's on the ends and wrap around the sides as well. I'm also going to try to incorporate my hitch in there also. The bumper I have sticks out a good 8 inches from the back and it hangs up on EVERYTHING!!!

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I have a body lift that needs to be hid somewhat. I thought about 2X4 at first but changed my mind once I clamped a 2X4 to my frame just to get a idea how it would look. I had a 2x4 airbumper I built for my 76 CJ5 and it looked like the the perfect size. The Blazer is just so much bigger that it seemed that the 2X4 was a bit small. If I had not had the bodylift, it might have been different

I'm cutting angles downward from the ends of each side, inward towards the center. The end of the bumper will start out being something like 3 inches or so. It will then angle down for around 15 inches untill it reaches the full 6 inches. Kinda hard to explain without pics. I will hopefully have some in a week or so. Heck I'll take some pics of the wood pattern I'm whittling up tomorrow.

I will eventually add a external cage. The front and rear bumpers will be attachment points so they will have to be pretty stout.

In any event, good luck with your project. Sounds like a good idea.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've seen a few nice bumper pics here but was never in the market. Now that I'm looking to make one I don't find any pics /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I think it was Lara's (Muddin4fun??) blazer that had one I liked. Pretty simple. As wide as the blazer, and another piece welded on to wrap around the edge of the body. I'd like to cut a hole in the center and incorporate my hitch but no rush on that.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

This was real easy, i cut the frame off under the tailgate, cut 1/4" flat bar to bolt to the frame and welded the square tube in the middle, then to cover up the B/L i added the risers and put the last piece as far up as i could without hitting the gate when its down, works good, i can lift a tire off the ground with my 60" high lift without chaining the axle to the frame /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how about this using 2x6 tube? I'm bobbing three or four inchs off the framerails so it should be close to a rollpan look.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much the design I'm doing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've seen a few nice bumper pics here but was never in the market. Now that I'm looking to make one I don't find any pics /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I think it was Lara's (Muddin4fun??) blazer that had one I liked. Pretty simple. As wide as the blazer, and another piece welded on to wrap around the edge of the body. I'd like to cut a hole in the center and incorporate my hitch but no rush on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

I keep bashing up the lights though. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm trying to figure out how to protect them. If you do something similar and want lights, mount them up high.