Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumpiest cam to run with a TBI 454?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 23, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am going to be putting a 454 in my Blazer and would like to keep the fuel injection...I already know that I am going to need a custom chip, but what is the bumpiest cam I can run and keep the ECM and TBI happy...I heard that I should stay below 220 degrees at .050"...is that about right or can I make it a little more than that...Thanks for the input gang...

Chris

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there are EFI grinds that are offered by all the major players in the cam market. give them a call and pick their brain. order the one that fits what you want to do, not what will give uber power top end where a rig won't use it, or a 292 duration cuz u want a "lumpy & loud" exhaust

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can get away with a bigger cam in a big block more than a small block. There is plenty of low end power to play with.

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Call the people at hypertech here in Memphis TN. The # is 901-382-8888 or the website is http://www.hypertech-inc.com/ they can make a chip for just about any cam on the market. Good Luck.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd surf over to 454SS.COM lots of useful info about these motors.

They have done the research and know what works. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

John

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Do you plan on replacing your SBC TBI with a BBC TBI? Not sure if the SBC TBI can supply enough fuel or air.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I avoid Crane Cams like the pleage. A few years ago I bought a 300hp reprodution cam for a 327 I built. One of the lobes was off by so meny degrees cousing a valve to put a hole in a piston. Crane was more then willing to replace the cam, but wouldn't pay for the damage thier product coused. They admitted it was thier fault, but refuced to pay for the parts I had to replace. Ever sence then, I've been using Comp Cams.

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Can't answer the cam issue but either turbocity.com or AZ Speed And Marine can...you will have to ditch the sbc tbi and go with the BBC tbi...2 inch bores...other than that i think you'll be ok besides the chip....if you aren't to wild with the cam i'm pretty sure a stock bbc chip will do the trick..

Azblazer

9. gallup

gallup Registered Member

I have just gone through the same research you are doubtless in the middle of. Call Charles at Camcraftcams.com and he will be more help than all the big companies put together. Have all your pertinant info ready, down to your tire size you will run with what gearing. Especially what rpm you run at the most. Where do you want peak torque. Down low is best for off roading unless you are a sand junky or a mudder. Hope you are running the 670 cfm big block tbi unit, this is a must. I am going to upgrade the intake to the edelbrock tbi intake and do some mild (and I mean mild) port and polish work. Roller rockers with a longer ratio on both sides will increase valve velocity and that is good if geometry of valvetrain stays right, and it will. Don't forget a good exhaust too! I am going with Howell for my chip. They also deal in tbi/tuned port upgrades using the stock gm computer and other stock parts(Howell is a retired GM Engineer). Any more questions just holler.

Mike