Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumping up the idle during winching questions

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by PANCAKE, Jan 4, 2012.

1. PANCAKE

PANCAKE 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I am thinking about wiring my winch so that the ECM (7477) will bump the idle up when the winch is on. I thought that someone told me to wire it to the A/C wire on the ECM? So the ECM will think the A/C is on and bump the idle up.
    My questions are:
    1. Has anyone done this mod?
    2. Is it worth my time?
    3. How do I do it?
    I am also planning on hard wiring the winch controls to a switch on the dash instead of the remote that came with it.
    Thanks for any input.

2. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Hook the wire from ecm that goes to ac compressor to wire that is active when winch is activated.

But this gets you just a little boost to keep idle steady. Now if you change parameters and burn a chip you can add 100-200 or so rpm as well to get engine idle up where alternator is charging better/enough to cover winch load.

Also works same way for on board air compressor! If you have both just run wire to each. The ECM just senses 12 volts and does it's thing.

EDIT: You can leave it still hooked to ac as well. But WARNING! do not increase idle in chip if you still use it for AC. Because you don't want to be sitting at traffic light with AC on and it engages and rasises idle 200 RPM and you hit car in front of you!

3. PANCAKE

PANCAKE 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't know if you're interested in this idea, but I did this using a valve. With 12V it opens and allows a little more air to bypass the throttle. I got the valve from something in a junkyard for like $1. Originally I put a little air "regulator" in the loop to adjust the orifice, but to clean it up later I just went with a vacuum connector with the right I.D. to give the rpm boost I wanted. This is not a regulated idle speed of course, it's just like bumping the idle screw.

5. eagle mark

Good cheap trick! Those are all over on old cars to raise idle for AC. I think some furds have them for idle or something... they just kick out hitting the throttle linkage.

6. mudbuggy

mudbuggy 1/2 ton status

I think if I was going to do this I would use a hand throttle or an electricly switched (by flipping a switch) solenoid that would bump up to a fast idle similarly to a fast idle on a truck with a pto. I don't think I would want to tie it into the computer, just because once it's installed and working then you can't change it unless you redo your chip, and for safety (like Eaglemark said) sake!!! Fab up a couple of brackets and the hard part is done.

7. eagle mark

That would work for most. But i'd be in the chip anyway and have it set up like I did on my 1990 Blazer with 3/4 ton axles on 36 Iroks 4:11 gears and lockers.

[​IMG]

blazer-1.jpg

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I get around to it i'm going to try and devise a way to make my cruise control set "idle" speed for my OBA when the vehicle isn't moving (this way it's pretty much infinately adjustable, just have to trick the ECM into thinking the vehicle is going at least 25 MPH). If this don't work then i'll use the anti-dieseling solenoid to bump the idle up.

9. eagle mark

Hmmm? How about a VSS with a little 12 volt motor (RC car) spinning it wired into the DRAC... :eek1:

I think the solinoid would be easier...

10. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What column do you need to bump the idle? On ssyrok's tune where has has a york OBA I put in to add rpm on AC on but when he installed a switch on that wire it didn't bump the idle.

11. eagle mark

You've got to change a few things. This is what I found in the last chip for my Blazer with the winch.

[​IMG]

winch-ac.jpg

12. MNorby

ah, got ya, thanks.

13. MNorby

only parameter I see in tunerpro with $42 is the 'idle speed increase due to a/c and the deadband. We want around 1200-1500 rpm with the york on.

14. eagle mark

Gotta have a good $42 xdf and it'll have all the right settings. But even then I don't think you can get that much out of the AC part of the ECM idle control... give it a shot and I'd like to know?

The bolt on solenoid to hit throttle linkage will!Seen that done to run PTO driven hydraulics.

15. MNorby

years ago we did that on a 91 crew cab that we put OBA on and was pretty fool proof, just flip switch and bump throttle. What do you think the max idle was can get out of the TBI fooling it to think its A/C can achieve?

16. eagle mark

:dunno:

That's all I wanted from a winch because it was automatic and I still had to drive it sometimes winching myself. Plus that's all it needed to get altenater to keep up with charge from winch draw...

It's up to how much air the IAC will let in, bottom line. But the other things have to be set to allow it do that as well.

17. MNorby

Whats the deadband do? can't really find a definitive explanation

18. MNorby

downloaded the $42 from moates and it looks worse than the one I had from tunerpro website. any other ones recommended?

19. eagle mark

20. MNorby

Cool, thanks. I'll play with it.