Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumpsteer and aling q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dheavychevy38, Jan 20, 2004.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

bumpsteer and aling q\'s

if i have the toe off would it cause bumpsteer to the point of death wobble???
    does anyone know what the toe should be set at cause no one will align or balance my tires

89 k5 8 inch lift 38 rtv like groundhawgs bias s shaped draglink and raised steering arm 10 bolt axles everything in the front is brand new /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

Re: bumpsteer and aling q\'s

i was wondering the same thing about the bumpsteer.
    the bumpsteer is horrible in my 88, the main reason why im doing crossover steering.
    when im driving down the street the steering wheel just goes light and right like crazy, is that just the nature of these trucks?

3. dheavychevy38

not going to crossover till i get my 60 in a couple of months but tillthen i would like to drive my truck which is impossible the min you hit a bump it shakes so bad you have to pull over it never used to be this bad i drove it for 2 months with no problems but all of a sudden woble mania i have changed everything except the tierod that runs acrosss the front of the diff which was in good shape

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

specs on your configuration?

5. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I fixed my pull/bumpsteer/wobble by replacing the rotted 300k mile+ 20 year old leaf spring bushings.

6. dheavychevy38

all but the upper bushings on the rear shackle on the front spring are new

for the specs 89 k 5 38.5 bias ply 8 inch lift s style draglink with raised steering arm 10 bolt front everything new except for the bushings that i mentioned and the front tierods but they are in good shape

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Try setting your toe, get a tape measure and measure the front of the front tires from one tread block to the equal tread block on the other front tire. write down your measurement, NOw do the same thing on the rear of the front tires, it should be 1/16-1/4 wider in the rear.

8. dheavychevy38

thanks for the info i will have to try that thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cant say ive ever seen such wobble occur, my 83 and my stepdads 82 both cruise fine,
    hmm

interesting

10. dheavychevy38

when i had this setup on my k10 no problems and now it shackes so bad you have to let go of the wheel it's scary

11. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

FWIW... From personal experience on my 86 K5 with 33's and 6" lift I found that when either one of my front shocks became useless (one leaked all the fluid out, the other broke a mount later on) I experienced the EXACT symptoms you are describing. It rode fine on smooth roads until I either hit a bump over 20mph or reached about 35mph period, then it shook so bad I could hardly keep it on the road and had to stop and start again. That was a long slow and somewhat frightening drive the 10 miles to the off-road shop the first time. Swapped in the new shocks and voila! problem solved. I got mad /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif the second time cuz I knew the shocks were brand new so they shouldn't have acted up, but it was the upper mount where the previous owner had removed the outer bracket and the bolt snapped from the new shocks being too effective. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Could be worth looking into, or it may not help ya at all. No charge for advice though.

Tim