Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumpsteer (did a search)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jun 3, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Specs:

88 K5 Jimmy
    6" front springs
    Echobit shackle flip & ORD add-a-leaf
    36" tires

The steering has a 2" drop pitman arm, and a 4" raised steering arm, so the draglink is pretty straight. The draglink ends are brand new MOOG's. However, there is a noticeable amount of bumpsteer. I still have to put shocks and a new steering stabilizer on. Should I expect the bumpsteer to be reduced after the new shocks and steering stabilizer? If not, would adjusting the steering box help?

Any advice on a steering stabilizer, dual, single, coilover?

Thanks
    Ross

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Get steering stabilers, more the merryer. Last winter I had a death rattle at low speeds when i hit bumpy sections of the road. I mean it felt like the trucks front wheels were falling, horrible shake(turning left to right to left to right like 20 beats a second /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

I replaced the hit steering stabilizer with this little ass oem stabilizer and it help a lot, eliminating any shakes.

I only had 33's, with a 4" lift and a raised steering arm. So I would go duel stabilizers with your 36's.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

as far as adjusting the steering box, i wouldnt mess with it, I messed with that Allen head bolt on the top of the box, and it tightened up the steering some but then after awhile the steering got looser then it was before i screwed with it. Just my expirience though.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What kind of front springs? If they are Tuff Country's EZ ride then not much you can do. I tried and tried before on my old Jimmy. I put dual rancho stabilizers on and did the ORD swaybar correction kit. It helped, but still really noticable. The only thing that really helped was to run dual front shocks. It stiffened the ride up. What happens is the front springs are so soft that they travel too much over little bumps, so that is why you get the bumpsteer. The only other thing besides the dual shocks that worked for me was to remove over 1,000 lbs (rolled it 6 times)

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The front springs are 6" BDS and I have the ORD swaybar discos too.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have a similar setup as yours, but with crossover steering and the WTO hydro assist setup, oh and no sway bar.
    Mine was getting frightening bump steer. I mean to a point where I almost decided not to drive it on the street anymore. I checked everything including, wheel bearings, toe in, caster, camber, tie rod ends, I mean everything.

The last thing I thought to check was the shocks. I could adjust my 9012s to a more stiffer position because I had them really soft. I stiffened them up all the way and quess what. The bump steer was completely gone. The only drawback was it rode like a wagon. I started softening the adjustment to where it still rides nice and very little to no bump steer.

The body of the K5 was rolling so bad, that it was really moving my crossover and in turn moving my steering wheel. With the stiffer shock setting it almost eliminated the body roll. The shocks will definitely make a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Oh, and the steering stabilizer will help too.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What axle?
    D60 has it's own problems to address.

Put a ORD brace on it. The raised arm and lowered drop link put more leverage on the steering box. The ORD Brace is great. It really cleans up the steering. It will get rid of a lof of frame deflection.

Personnaly any more then one steering stabalizer is a patch for another probblem. They should be used to fine tune the last of it out of there but if you need more then one you have other issues.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do you still have the stock pitman arm? If so try it out and tell us what you think. Flat isn't always how you want the drag link to be.