Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumpsteer!!! HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78k5, Mar 4, 2001.

1. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

OK here's the deal, I have a 6" lift with 35" tsl's. the lift is a superlift and I have the 4" steering arm and the 2" drop pitman arm and dual shock stabalizer. but I still have bumpsteer, not as bad as it was with just the steering arm and no pitman arm but now with the added two inch drop pitman arm it is still there. My tie rod ends are brand new, drag link is brand new. the only thing on my steering old is the box is that the problem? please help. also it is very sluggish to turn, say like I am trying to dodge something I would have to crank the wheel and it would turn the wheels very slowly.

[​IMG]

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

When you put the lift and other parts on did you tighten up everything with the rig sitting on the ground?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah what wayne said... and from what I have heard is Superlift has springs that have shims already attached... which means that you HAVE TO have the truck aligned afterwards. So this could also be playing into the mix of things

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Check also your steering shaft if that joint is worn you will get a little or a lot of play...

Eat More Mud!!!!

5. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I of course put everything on in the air but tightened it all down on the ground does that make a difference? I had it aligned but it didn't help at all. If it is bad to tighten it down on the ground can I just undo everything and retighten it without the load on it?

[​IMG]

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

One of your big problems is the frame is more than likely flexing. If you do not have a steering brace like the one ORD sells then you will always have problems. Get that first and make sure that your frame is not cracked around the steering box. This should fix 90% of your problem. If not two words,
    crossover steering.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You always want to tighten everything with the load on it. Someone had a post in a couple of days ago and tightened everything without the load and had the same problems and was told to loosen everything up and then retighten with the load on it. It cured most of their problems.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>