Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bumpstop brace stupid question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alec78, Sep 12, 2004.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

This thing is located right below the starter, making access to it darn near impossible. It also makes three bumpstops on the passanger side. Is it really needed? IF the suspension could compress enough, it would "land" (maybe hit is a better word) on a flange on the pumpkin right next to the pinion.

I'm thinking either /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif or /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif ...Thoughts???

[​IMG]

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I pulled mine off.

Assuming since there is already a stop for the axle tube, this one is to keep the pinion from rotating up when the axle is stuffed up. Sounds good anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've often wondered what the hell they were there for as well. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif One of mine fell off the other day. Maybe it was somethin to help with the stock spring setup? I dunno.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

With lift springs the stock bumpstops are pretty much useless. As far as I can tell the original design was for the rear most stop to touch the springs first, this 'raised' the spring rate during heavy hits. The front most stop was the normal bottom out stop to keep the axle out of the oil pan. The single bumpstop over the diff kept the diff from kicking up into the oil pan/starter area. Kinda goofey huh.

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i had to pull it off my rig to fit the hedders...

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

GM added that bump stop in later years, to serve but one purpose. If you skyed a stock truck just right and then landed hard on the right front, it would shove the axle up high enough to snap the starter right off the block. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Note to self: no Dukes of Hazzard jumps.

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't you mean Fall Guy jumps?

9. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

SWEET!!! I think I'll remove it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

This ought to remove about 2 pounds...I'll add some stickers...a spoiler...blink bling wheels and show them Ricers a thing or two!!! Headline reads, "Diesel Blazer beats Riced Car In Street Race, Sony offers $$$ for Mini Series"