Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bumpstops keep em or junk em

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Jan 31, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

have my bare frame ready to be powder coated... with a heavy duty 4 inch lift I was thinking of just removing the bumpstops to clean up the frame.... with the stock lift I would hit the bump stops a lot but with the lift I dont think I even come close and if I did there is still another 3-4 inches of travel before there could theoretically be metal to metal contact.

I dont see any reason that they need to be there. Someone suggested I remove em and ever since they did Im set on doing it but I wanted some opinions...

3/4ton shortbed with 4-5" lift (7 & 9 leaf spring packs if i remember correctly, if not more)

well?

mike

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am ditching mine. but limiting straps are a must
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Warning this post contains opinion. I would recommend aftermarket bumpstops that are long enough for your lift. Bottoming your shock absorbers could damage them. My opinion however differs concerning the limiting straps. Those shouldn't be necessary unless you have super flexy suspension that would exceed the limits of your driveshafts.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i agree with green blazer i've seen drive shafts come apart but not as often as broken shocks or shock mounts.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

with that amount of lift they might not be doing you any good as it is anyhow if you have replaced the shocks as i assume you had to.
    im just thinking from my arse here for a minute,,but if you unbolt the bottom of the shock,,,compress it all the way,,then let it out 3" ( thickness of the axle itself) if it is ABOVE the bump stop then you are in good shape,if it isn't,,then you need to get LONGER bump stops to make it work properly.
    keep the bump stop's,,they're cheaper to make then new shock's all the way round

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>