Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bunch of dirt in my differential!?!?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 2, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I was just remembering that when I had my knuckle replaced, the mechanic who replaced it took the axle out and it was full of dirt he didn't even clean it at all when he put it back in I asked him if he was gonna clean all the dirt off, and he told me that the dirt wont hurt anything inside like the gears or anything else, my question is was he right? I now started to hear a little noise I dont know where the noise is coming from it sounds like a grinding noise would it be inside the pumpkin? shoot I hope not I guess my question is would dirt hurt my gears or anything inside my pumpkin if anybody knows about this please help me Thanks.

keep blazin !!!

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Not 100%, but in my opinion, I would think the dirt will mess things up real bad. When the dirt gets between the gears, I would imagine it will do some damage. I would assume some dirt got in there through the vent while you were crossing a muddy pond and submerged the vent underwater. (that's if you play with you truck like that).
    Boss

3. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

your damb strait dirt will hurt everything ...........if your seals are gone and the dirt gets into the pumkin you have got a horible mess on your hands .........my sugetion is to get the dirt out and find a new machanic

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The seals for the front axle shafts are in pretty close to the diff. housing (they are installed from the inside). If your seals are good, dirt on the axle shaft outboard of the seal should not cause any problem. That said, a GOOD mechanic would have cleaned the axle shaft before he (or she) put it back in there. It is also a good idea to try to clean out the tube outboard of the seal, as it is difficult to replace the axle shaft without scraping up some of whatever is clinging to the inside of the tube on the way in.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Oh my, now what is the best way to clean out the pumpking take the cover off and drain it first and then what? I think I'm in deep (censored) that's how my truck was I guess when I got the dirt in there.

keep blazin !!!

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

actually if you take a quarter looking slug, cut it in half so it is moon shaped...(half moon that is) and attach it to a rod long enough to get into the longest tube, you can scrape the insides clean. Tool is similar to what folks use to clean out water heaters.

Sand paper is made out of what? Grains of sand, now if you rub sandpaper on your gears what happens?

It has to be clean ...inside and out...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

7. Oil Man

Oil Man Registered Member

Don't use solvent to clean out your rear end!!!!!
    Use gear oil or non detergent engine oil. But clean it out right now.

Sincerely, Kevin

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Soon as I get home Oil Man, what kind of oil you recommend any kind of gear oil?

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

9. Oil Man

Oil Man Registered Member

Call Mag-Hytec and order the 607 petro oil or the 75w140 synthetic oil. He carries the best rear end covers and oil also. The brand is Lubrication Engineers, and it's made for heavy duty severe service to minimize wear even under the worst conditions.

Sincerely, Kevin

10. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot Kevin will do.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yes it will hurt it. It shovels the dirt right into the bearings! I had to replace the bearings on my carrier in my D44 front because of just that stupidity from work on my truck from before I got it. ALWAYS clean out the tubes. Keep the end of the shaft from dragging in the tube. I Had one of my buds tell me a trick that sounds like it would work. He said take a garbage bag and poke a hole about half the diameter of the shaft in the end. Slide it over the shaft so the hole is at the end and slide the shaft in till you feel it touch the seal (not go through just touch) If you have ever looked at a seal it has a cone shape to help guide the shaft in. You want it into the cone but not through. Then pull on the bag as you start to push the shaft in and the bag will tear away. leaving the splines and seal area clean. Sounds like it might work and would be a good trick for trail repairs.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper