Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bunch of fabrication questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Sep 15, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

OK, thinking about all the crap i need to do to pull my project together. Got a bunch of questions hopefully you guys can help me sort out..

Background: 6" TC EZride lift, springs all around. big block going in with silly power. dually D60 fr & D70HD rear going in with H1s. purpose: sand, mud and flat FL trails. Knowing that...

1) Do i need to worry about sag in the rear?
    Should I have Kert fab me up some perches with an extra inch of boost? gotta move them anyway, only want to do it once...

2) Is there a benefit for my application to shock inboarding? since i gotta move the shock mounts, is it worth it to inboard them at the same time?

3) Does Kert's WRAPTOR fit K5's yet? Does it fit Dana 70HD's yet? I figure I'm going to need some kind of anti wrap device. If not, can anyone recommend an alternative that will fit a K5 & D70HD.

3a) would inboarding the shocks interfere with a wraptor or alternative?

4) while I'm at it, is it worth it to go ahead and put in some fancy motor mounts? Kert's poly mounts look appealing. Just need some confirmation on the need and that they will fit with a big block and a stock 88 K5 frame.

thanks guys, as always.

chris

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

1. I don't know why it would have any sag in the rear, but you can always get the taller perches if you think you'll need them. At the very least, you sit slightly taller in back. Which I usually preffer.

2. In boarding the shocks allows for use of longer shocks, which work in conjunction with longer travel. If you think you'll have the travel that requires inboarding, then go for it. I would think that 6" arched 52" springs wouldn't really need it, if that's what you have. But you won't loose anything by doing it, and if you ever changed out the springs for something more flexy, they would be in place.

3. I would think Kert could answer that best.

3a. I thought Kert's wraptor had provisions for inboarding.

4. Well, you have not put the engine in yet, right? If you think you'll want them, get them now. Is it worth it? I don't know. I've never had a problem with factory mounts, but that's just me. Perhaps I'm not aware of the full gains to be had by going with the fancy ones. :dunno:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got Kert to make me some taller perches. They look great and should take care of my sag. I was the same way - got to move them, may as well get a little lift out of the deal also.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Thats personal prefrence.

The more you inboard your shocks the less effective they are. there is a formula but i forget where it is. i would say slghtly off from straight would be your best bet IMO for what you want to do.

Kert makes very nice products and im sure he'll works w/ you, but im pretty sure the "wraptor" bolts on a 14 at the pinion ???support thingy??? and the 70 has no such thing so it would be a custom job.

5. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I think i'm going to go ahead and get a extra inch on the perches. a slight rake wouldnt look too bad and if the springs settle, it'll even out.

nuts to inboarding. i dont need it if it just for flex. (i'm sure i'll eat these words)

i might try my hand at a ladder bar. always wanted to do it, just need the excuse...

jury still out on motor mounts. i guess if the ones i have dont fit right, i'll pick up a set.

thanks for the info guys!