Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bunches of leaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by abusedtrucks, May 29, 2002.

1. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Thanks to NoSmog73's post about power steering leakage, I remembered that my Blazer dumps about 3 gallons of juices all over the road every time I park it.

The only one that I am concerned about is the tranny fluid. I just put a new kickdown cable in it (has a 350 tranny) and it leaks horribly. It's in straight and it's tight. The end looks the same as the old one, and the o-ring is in. I do not understand why it leaks.

My question is this... can I just pack a crapload of silicon around it to seal it up? I'm really not overly interested in taking that thing out again. It was quite difficult to work around everything to get the kickdown cable attached to the little rod in the tranny.

Thanks again for all of your help.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure that its not leaking out the dipstick tube? Pretty close together. And yes, you can put a bunch of silicone there, but if it can't grip (all that ATF in nooks and crannies) it probably won't solve the problem, though it might lessen it.

ATF's expensive (as are tranny rebuilds) if I had to, (and I have) I'd pull the whole tranny out to fix a leak.

3. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

I'm about 99% sure that it's coming out where the kickdown cable goes in. It didn't leak before I put the new one in, and now it gushes out.

I may end up pulling that tranny, because there are other leaks that I need to fix.

Thanks.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Both the dipstick tube and the kickdown cable have an o-ring (atleast they do on my TH350). I replaced these and almost ALL my leaks stopped.

Good luck.

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I recently had my transfer case rebuilt and freshend up my TH350.. the shop that did the work noted that my detent cable was bad..already knew that.. they highly suggested that I place silicone around the opening where the cable went into the tranny.. so give it a try...