Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bunged up threads on water pump where pull and fan mount- need suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Jun 17, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the threads on my water pump where the fan and pully bolt up are all fubared. the pump is still good and i don't want to have to buy a new one. i was thinking i would just drill out the holes and through bolt em but getting to the nuts on the back side will be nearly imposible with the pully on. what about a tap and die and go with the next size up in theads and bolt? anyone have to deal with this prob? thanks,

jason

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Bunged up threads on water pump where pull and fan mount- need suggesti

First thing to do is chase the threads with a tap.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Yep, I have a complete set of taps in my toolbox....and my truck nows that too...every bolt I replace, I have to chase it out with a tap (I think my truck is a whore). I've been replacing all the bolts with SS one..nice..
    I would try chasing it with a tap first, if its still not any-good get a heli-coil and drill it out..tap it..insert te coil and bang...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How To Install A Helicoil

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Unless you have a fancy aftermarket pump, just buy a rebuilt one. Rebuilt GM water pumps only cost $25-30. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That's way cheaper than replacing a hood, radiator, belts, hoses, etc. because the fan came off at 5,000 RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif