Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burb body on pickup frame?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by u2slow, Mar 15, 2003.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I know its not a direct fit, but has anyone put a Burb on a pickup frame? I figure about a 3" body lift will make it fit - or am I missing something?

I'm only asking since I have a spare 1-ton frame, and its a pity to throw one of these away.

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

there's a 10 inch difference in the wheelbase of a pickup and a suburban. longbed pickup is 119.5, and suburban is 129.5 ( or thats what I've read/been told) both vehicles are about the same length, but the rear axle lives farther back on the sub.

-Rich

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

there is actually a 2'' difference in wheelbase and the burb is the shorter of the 2 at 129.5 whereas a longbed truck is 131.5. There will be issues with mounting a fuel tank (the burbs needs to be at the rear due to the second row footwell and I think that the frame bends up a lot sooner on the truck frame so it might take more than a 3'' B.L. to make it work (I don't know what the laws are like there but here in CA the body must be within 4'' including bushings of the frame /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.) Sounds like a lot of work, is there something wrong with said 'burb's frame? If nothing else, it would be a fun learning experience /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my bad... oh well. :-D

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you thinking about using a 1 ton frame for added strengh?

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Just beating ideas around for now... a first-hand account of a Burb body on a pickuo frame sure would be nice - if anybody's done it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My Burb's a C20... 4wd would be nice. The stronger frame couldn't hurt. I was thinking of 4x4ing the frame beforehand, and set it up with twin saddle-tanks AND the rear tank.

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the only problem with the saddle tanks, is where to put the filler nozels... on the pickups, there's the bedside, but on the suburban, there's a door, and if you're going to do heavy wheeling, then it'd not be a good idea to just stick it in the wheelwells, unless you had a hatch or protective covering of somesorts. hmm... now I must think about this, and consider doing it to mine...

-Rich

8. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

Have something similar.... 70 Suburban on a 77 Suburban 4X4 frame. Lots of work believe me! Used a 4 inch body lift and had to move the rear axle forward about 6 inches. If you've got a lot of time on the weekends, go for it. Otherwise, keep your sanity and start out with a solid, sound vehicle.