Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burb body swap completed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just got done a few days ago finishing up a suburban body swap /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Pics can be viewed at my webshots, there is a link in my sig. Body swap pics are in 3 separate albums. The only thing left to complete it is a few cosmetic pieces (grill, stuff like that) and a new paint job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

looks good what was the time table on the swap?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Took us 3 weeks from start to finish...about 30 to 35 hours only working on it for like 2 hours a day for only 5 days out of a week /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

How hard was it to move the bodies around?I have been thinking of swapping my crew cab onto my old '79 subs frame.Looks good BTW.Thanks Brady

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nice job but if you ask me the old body didnt look all that bad either..nothing thsat coudnt be fixed with a little work anyway..

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Bodies were actually really easy to move around since they were both still complete rigs.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

yeah, the floor could of been repaired really easily, door frames would of taken a little more work, but my dad had the attitude of why bother when a new body would be easier and faster LOL

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So what VIN does the complete vehicle use? The one from the new gray truck -- which looks 87-89ish, with EFI? Or the one from the 74ish white truck?

Did you even tell the DMV? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The new body is an 81, and the old body style was a 77. The vehicle's VIN is the 77's. And yes the DMV does know, cause we have to pass smog here. Besides, I don't know about other states, but here in oregon, the titles stays with the frame and is registered as such /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Interesting. And damn, the '81 has a lot of wires -- computer controlled carb?

How about the VIN on the door frame -- did you swap the plates, or ...?

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No computer controlled anything, a lot of the wiring you see is for emission crap which the 77 has NO emission crap on it what so ever /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so most of that wiring got removed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif as far as the VIN plate from the door frame, we don't know about that yet...we still have to go thru state police inspection and that was one of the questions I had for them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rebelrockin

rebelrockin 1/2 ton status

What a site for Sore eye's. Glad she has held up for a few more miles. I sent a few photo's on to Mike so he could see where at least part of her has gone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep, ron kept the 454/th400 combo, and the rear 14ff is going under my burb /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif all is well with her...new grill and a couple other things, and she'll be good as new /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif