Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'Burb class?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Veefour, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Veefour

Veefour Registered Member

My brother in law's neighbor has a 'burb as decoration for his backyard. Been considering asking if he would sell. I was wondering if the 'burbs are 1 tons or 3/4?
    If so, I really want the axles for my K5 so I can go with larger tires.

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Well since these 'burbs are not in my yard. I do not know what running gear they have under them. However, I can tell you that assuming they have not had the axles previously swapped out then they are NOT 1 ton running gear. However they could be 1/2 ton OR 3/4 ton. AND... depending on the year of the previously aforementioned suburbans they could have a very selection of possible axles.

As for putting the axles under your K5... You do not necessarily need new axles to run bigger tires. It is my understanding that you can put bigger tires on your rims and just put them back on the axles you already have.

Perhaps if you were to post a picture of the suburbans I could be more helpful, but in the mean time I am going keep drinking and convertly mocking you.

Is this flaming?

3. Veefour

I had heard once before that when running anything over 38" tires, the 1/2 ton Blazer axles were not strong enough to handle the added rotational mass.
    Is this incorrect?

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

35" tires are about the safe limit for 1/2-ton gear. Maybe a little more if you don't beat on it too bad.

If the Burb has 8-lug axles, it's a 3/4-ton. It will have a 14bff in the rear and a D44 or 10-bolt up front (depending on year). It's a straight swap to a K5, so as long as you can get a good price and they have a favorable ratio (4.10 or better), then it's a good idea.

5. Veefour

Are there any other goodies I should consider swapping (Other than the 350 engine in place of my 305) ?

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Nope. Except for the longer frame and extra set of doors, it's pretty much the same truck you already have. It might be good for spare parts but nothing is any better than what you're already running.

7. bigbluesuburban

How do you know it's going to be a Full Floater? I have an 89 Sub and it has a SF in the rear. And since we still don't know what year the vehicle is, or if the drivetrain has been previously modified it is not really safe to assume what is actually under this vehicle. IMO...

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Geez... be a nit-picker.

Fine. It will have a 14-bolt in it. Happy?

Veefour: If it has bolt-in axles, it's a full-floater. If it doesn't, it's a semi-floater.

9. bigbluesuburban

Never really Happy... Sorry personal issues.

Actually I was hoping the Veefour would get some additional information about the truck so that we can give him legit info. But alas I have failed and will forever be ashamed.

Seriously though. I hate my job.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are looking for just axles, a Burb is probably not the place to look. The best you will do is 3/4 ton gear (14bsf and 10bolt front). You can pick up those cheap.

If you are upgrading to 38's, save your $$ and get a dana 60 front and a 14bff rear.

11. Veefour

I'll get more info on the truck next time I'm over at my brother-in-law's house. I feel weird knocking on doors of people I don't know, to ask them about a truck in their backyard.....but sometimes thats how you get the best deals.
    Curiosity....Would those fenders, bumpers and other misc. front end pieces fit over onto my Blaze?

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What year is the Burb and what year is the Blazer?

13. Veefour

My blaze is 85...don't know the burb year

14. bigbluesuburban

If you can snap a pic of the burb we might be able to help you more.

And correct me if I am wrong... but if the blaze and burb are both 2nd gen, then the entire front clip could be swapped over no matter what year they are... correct?

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That is correct. If the burb is anywhere from '81 to '91, the parts are pretty much a direct swap. '88-'91 are the more "in-demand" style.

Bigblue: sorry to hear about your job, mang. There's always something better, though! :waytogo: