Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burb headliners

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Anyone know where to get replacement headliners and the backer board (whatever the stiff crap is behind the material) from besides jcwhitney? I also need to get all teh trim that goes around the headliner...mine never had any of that when I bought it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

find an upuholstry resaler... here in AZ, they have great names like Tempe Sales ( located in tempe) Mesa Sales ( located in Mesa) and etc. they sell the foamy headliner stuff like you find in teh headliners of most GM cars from 1980 to now, in various colors and textures. it also doesn;t cost much if you get it from one of those places... I think I was looking at 30 bucks for enough of the material to completely do the roof of my truck in it.

the backing board of mystery is just cardboard, and should be easily fabricated from either a refrigerator box, or some thin plywood. ( really thin plywood... thin enough you can roll it without much effort)

in other news ( as I glance through your photo album of your sub) what is it with people, and putting the smallest steering wheel possible, on the largest Non military based production vehicle ever? my 73 K20 came with a tiny foam padded racers steeringwheel that pisses me off nearly every day... can;t wait until I get around to ripping the wheel off my parts truck, and install it on this one where it belongs... I personaly prefer having a steeringwheel large enough that if I get in trouble/loose power steering, I might be able to do something about it, besides keep moving strait, and dying.

-Rich

3. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

WELL THE SMALL WHEEL IS SO YOU CAN DRIVE WITH HAND CUFFS ON! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif MAYBE THEY ALL THINK THERE MIGHT BE A NEED TO DO THAT! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

LOL...I hate that damn tiny steering wheel also, it was on there when I bought it, i've got another one coming (a stock sized one) from another member /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know some (or maybe all) burbs headliners came with the solid/rigid foam that is premolded to the roof contours and contoured for the visors...you know what stuff I'm talking about?

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, thats the same basic thing: foamy stuff glued to a backing board.

the older 70's ones either came with cloth glue to a hard board, or vynil glued to a hard board. ( depending on trim package)

my 73 has a foamy headliner, with the moulded visor spots on it, but it was in there when I bought the truck... I'd immagine the fancy molding could be pulled from a newer suburban ( wrecked 88-91? possibly late 80's?) also, don't forget to get the plastic trim that holds the headliner up to the cieling... hard to install without it,

-Rich

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

yeah i know, only thing is that burbs around here are stripped faster than you know what...trying to find a headliner and trim in a burb in good condition is like trying to find the impossible...if anyone happens to be out yarding and finds one complete (without rear air) try to put a hold on it and lemme know how much.