Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burb of my dreams

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by txtough, Sep 2, 2003.

1. txtough

txtough Registered Member

Just bought the burb of my dreams. 1990 v1500 with most of the goodies. I also bought a 77 3/4 ton LWB to steal parts from. I am starting the axle swaps on Wednesday and can't wait. This is my first post, but I have learned alot over the years reading CK5 articles and forums. I will have extra parts if someone is looking.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Good deal on your find of the burb and welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Welcome! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction already. Sounds like a sweet deal with the burb. Good luck with it!

Kris

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Awesome! Keep us updated and post lots of pics! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

sounds great....I'll be the first, WHERE'S THE PICS???????

Welcome aboard....in a few weeks the 'Burbs will take over this sight /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Very cool, I'm kinda particular towards the '90 V1500 burb /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (Although I'm in the process of making mine a V2500 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

Thanks for supporting the site...it's a resource that no service manual can match (and trust me, I've got 'em all)

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One of mine is a '90 V1500. VERY clean! It's now sporting a 14-bolt FF rear end and an 8-lug 10-bolt up front. Gears will soon be 4.56's at both ends. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then a 4-inch lift and 35's will be added, just after the 454 goes under the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif (I figure the engine swap will be MUCH easier before it's lifted). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Welcome to the 'burb 'hood! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. txtough

Started the transformation tonight. Lots of sweat and grease. I pulled the front axle on the pickup and started preparing it for the Burb. I talked to the people at Offroad Design. They are very nice and helpful, I ordered the rear shackle flip kit and the 4" front springs, swaybar disconnect, steering support and a few odds and ends to finish the install. I haven't worked with someone so knowledgeable is some time, they have all the answers.

My question now is how do I I.D. the front axle that came in the burb? What is the difference in a Dana 44 and a corp. 10 bolt? Thanks for the warm welcome.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Kinda hard if you don't have the two frontends to compare, but the 10 bolt has a much more round cover when comparing it to a Dana 44. One sure way to find out if it's a D44 is to look for "44" to be stamped in the housing to the bottom right of the diff cover. Also, on the top of my Dana 44, "D44-8F" is cast into the housing above where the pinion is.

To save you some time though, if that's the original axle in the '90 burb, it's a 10 bolt.

10. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong, (It's happened ONCE before),but I think that in '90 only 10 bolts were used in the half tons. Also, check the technical section for Axle Identification. It is very helpful.

Welcome aboard!

11. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 v20 burb that originally came with a 10b front
    & 14sf rear. It now has a d60 & 14ff.

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

With a truck description like I see in your sig...you're going to have to get some pics up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Did you swap in the 465 or did it have that as the factory option?

13. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

The 350,465,241 was all factory. I just had nvrenuf swap in
    the 454 recently. I will try to get pictures up since it was
    recently painted.

14. txtough

Talked to the guys at Reider Ring Gear today and they positively ID my front axle off the ring gear part number it is a 10 bolt corp. Looks like you are all right again. I ordered a front and rear gear set and rebuild kits, some new hubs and seals and limited slips for both ends. Looks like I have some work cut out. I started cleaning the front axle to paint it, what a bunch of gunk it had accumulated over the past 25 years.

I hoped someone could give me an idea about how a burb drives on 35" tires. Thirty-three inchers don't scare me because I have owned them but I hoped someone could share with me what 35's handle like. I am planning on 17 inch steel wheels with 315/70r17 tires.

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Handles great..............my dream 91 V2500 with 4L80E, etc....

[​IMG]

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I haven't had mine in the sand yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

too many upgrades