Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burb options

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by big_truxx, Jan 19, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I really d not know much about burbs. I do know that they are gorwing on me greatly and I would love to have one parked in the garage (after I get that built) to strip down and rebuild as a family/travel type rig. I have no idea about how common some of the options would be. Maybe some of you burb gurus can help. The options I am really interested in are a/c with the rear heater-a/c setup (which I nothing about just read somewhere they had it) and the rear barn doors. How common are these two options? And are there different years that do or do not have them?

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

also I'm thinking of 73-91 body style. Most likely 81-91 is what I will end up with. I preffer 81-85ish (before injection) but I will end up with whatever is best for the rear heat-a/c and bard doors I reckon. Or is it easy to add rear heat a/c? Can you just take a tailgate setup off and add barn doors? Or is that a lot of custom work?

3. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Typically if you get one with the silverado package you get the rear ac/heater in them. Most of the time the 1/2 ton models will have the tailgate & 3/4 tons usually have the barn doors. My 90 V2500 scottsdale came with no rear ac/heater & had the barn doors.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

what does the V stand for in V2500?

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

They changed the designation to V because the new body style pickups had the K numbers. This is on the 89-91blazers,suburbans,& crewcabs with the old body style.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

see my responce to your other post.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Chris, first and foremost, welcome to the love of burbs :D

On the barn door issue. If you were to buy a burb with a tailgate and wanted to swap to barn doors, the easiest way would be to buy a 73-82 because in these yrs had all the mounts in the body for both. In either 83 GM stopped making the body this way so its not just a direct bolt in from tailgate to barn doors (or vice versus) it can be done tho with some cutting and welding and graphting(pm me if you'd like more info on that). So if you are you looking for say the 81-85ish(injected started in 87), your best bet would be to just find one with barn doors if you can. As far as the more 1/2tons having gates and the 3/4tons having the doors, I don't think thats true as around here its the other way around, I see more 1/2ton burbs with the doors than the tailgates.

On the rear a/c-heat, like ratzila said, the silverado models had the option of rear a/c. Finding one with rear heat tho is going to be harder as the rear heat was never added stock from the factory, it was only a factory option. You'll typically see burbs with rear heat in the colder climate areas. But if you buy a burb that has factory front a/c, the rear a/c-heat can easily be added.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well that is good news. I do live in a colder climate (Maine) so that's why I am thinking ahead to rear heat :) Good to know that conversion as long as it has front a/c isn;t that hard. As for the barn doors... :thinking: sounds about what I expected in finding one with the doors already really is the best option. I could always get the older type, but then again I would run into more swapping/whatever chores.

I know that you can swap in the front clip but I do not know al thats involved. I know it's a little more than just tossing on the hood and fenders. And the 73-82 body you mentioned was best for the door swap if it had a tailgate, the front sheetmetal still split from 73-80 and 81 and 82 would be the 81-87 style like pickups right?

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

so for the 2wd it'd still be a C designation? Or was that what the R was for?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I believe thats what R was for. And yes the 81,82 burbs have the newer front end but that ugly( think anyway) very early 80s grill setup. That could all be easily swapped to the late 90s grill(most common swap and IMO best looking). My burb is a V2500 89 with the only option being a spare tire. There is no ac, no auto trans, tailgate, heck its got a single bench seat in the front and no other seats. So there are some odd ones out there for sure. It sure is funny to have a burb that can only seat 2 comfortably :).

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

lol yeah. I kinda like the silverado 4 headlight setup. But the grilles are lacking a nice look really. An aftermarket grille would be a lot nicer. As for the 88-91 front swap... :dunno: I like em but not sure if I like them more than the mid 80's 4headlight setup or not.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I never saw one with rear heat while I was looking. Mine has rear a/c which is great in the south. Probably not as big a concern in Maine. I think that all of the 89-91 Siverado's had rear air. At least all of them that I looked at had it. I also noticed that most of the ones I looked at had tailgates.

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

It may not be quite as necessary as in the south. I have lived in new orleans and oklahoma and been all over the south. It still does get quite warm here in the summer. And humidity locally doesnt help. I am looking at starting this family truck project a bit after I get the house/garage built. In being a family vehicle I would like it to be comfortable at all times of the year. That and the barn doors are far superior imo than the tailgate setup. :grin:

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Another burb specific ? I have is; Did they ever have an option for dual tanks? Also how is the burb tank mounted? In the rear between the rails just like the k5 would be?

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

same spot as the K5. Never seen a dual tank setup. I'm sure you could put side saddle tanks off a pickup on, I still don't like side tanks myself.

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about that but not sure if the floor would allow it or not. I haven't had any probs with side tanks. I like the dual tanks a lot. Both my rigs have them.

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Another ? I have about burbs is how much room do you have in the back? W/o 3rd seat of course. How far is it from the middle seat to the tailgate/rear window? And also does the middle seat fold down so the cargo area would be totally flat? If so then how much cargo room do you have?

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

rear seat up is about 6 feet, flod it down and you get 8 feet, plywood and dryway no problem, unless you have the rear heat, it is in the way stupid , i riped mine out as the line rot bad.

you dont need dule tanks when you have a 130 L tank111

ALTHOUGH I HAVE THOUGHT OF PUTTING A SADLE TANK IN TOO IF I SWAP OVER TO ALCOHAL IN A FEW YEARS :thinking::thinking:

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:doah: so either I get rear heat or fold down seats. :( why can;t I have it all? :dunno: But 6' is enough for some uses. 8' would be better though... :thinking: decissions decissions decissions! And even at a 34gallon tank... Still always nice to have more. I know on a pickup you can get a 40gallon tnak to replace yer stock 20. So you could have dual 40's :grin: But you have a point. Only a 6 gallon difference between your 34 and my twin 20's...

20. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

So the floor would allow saddle tanks no prob?