Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burb Stereo?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by tuffdogstudio, Feb 1, 2005.

1. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Ok, first off... this maybe should be in the audio section, but I am just seeking info from Sub owners so thought this was a better place.

Now then, I'm about ready to start the system in my Burb and was looking for any custom mods you all might have done to improve the sound in your rides and yet keep the functionality intact (i.e. no huge sub boxes and stuff, I have other vehicles doing that already).

I have lots of stuff around here from previous installs but am just looking for some pix of what you've done and maybe a little info on whether or not it was worth it. I use this rig as a offroad/camping rig with light town use, it currently has the stock radio and speakers (yikes, 1984 was a long time ago)

Some specifics:
    • Anyone put a subwoofer in a rear barn door? If so, how'd it work out?
    • Anyone enlarge the rear 4X10 speaker openings to accomodate larger speakers?
    • Alternative locations for stereo (factory location sux)
    • Largest dash speakers you've shoehorned in?
    • Amp locations?
    • Subwoofer locations?

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have replaced the 4x10 with 8" 3ways. carefull cutting there, there is an extra metal piece on the inside twords the wheelwell that makes cuting with a hacksaw a pain. I have Q forms in the front. I like those way better than the indash infinitys I had. Its a lot cheaper to cut the doors and put in some 6x9s or something. I have a 12" sub box that I put agenst the tailgate, but I moved that to the trunk of my DD golf to enjoy it more.

3. tuffdogstudio

8" 3-ways 'eh? How are those workin out for you? Who makes such a beastie?

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There pyle drivers. I bought them at media market (an electronics store) about 5yrs ago pretty cheap but they work fine for me :burb:

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have thought about making 'benches' along the sides of mine and placing speakers into them.

I need more seating/storage space for small misc. items.

6. tuffdogstudio

yeah, I ahve been thinking enclosing the area around the wheel wells to house a couple subs, was thinking maybe just the drivers side in front of the spare, although someday the tires will be too big to fita spare inside and I'll need to redo it, but if I wait till someday I may never get anything done ;)

The more I think about it the more an enclosure in that area sounds the most practical, wont eat up too much room in the rear, 3rd row seat still accessable when its needed, and if built right some extra work area to boot.

7. tuffdogstudio

::::update::::

ok, its been a while since the original post, but I've been fiddeling with the stereo system and thought I would give an update.

I removed the factory head unit and installed an AIWA deck that I had layin around (new deck should be here this week to replace the AIWA) I used a leftover install piece that I had from a previous install kit to keep the deck fitting nicely and looking decent.
    [​IMG]

I also installed the XM sat reciever (as seen in the above pic)

In the dash I opted to put two 5.25 speakers in the center of the dash instead of dealing with the factory dash speaker locations to create a psuedo center channel (they dont have a huge impact, just kinda fill in the front sound stage), I have a new dash pad to put in someday and when I do that the center speaker install will be cleaned up alot. These speakers are running off the deck.
    [​IMG]

I installed 6.25 speakers in the front doors just under the power window controllers of each door. These speakers are running off the 4 channel amp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rear 4X10s are still in place but I have some nice Polk 6X9s here that will get installed someday. These speakers are running off the deck.

The rearmost 5.25 speakers are installed in the rear A/C housing and are running off the 4 channel amp.
    [​IMG]

The subwoofer is a 12" Rockford Fosgate in a bandpass enclosure.

The amps are installed under the back seat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats where I'm at so far, hope this info helps anyone thinking of putting a system in their 'burban.

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I lke how you put those speakers in the rear AC area. How's the sound overall?

I need to put a new headunit in mine. and I want put some 6X9 in the rear were the 4X10's and just replace the speakers in the dash.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

you want something just kinda basic but better sounding than stock, just get yourself a good quality set of replacement speakers for the front dash "corners" that center mounting thing looks kinda weird, and you can build a simple template with a bit of carpet and mount in a nice set of 3-way 6x9's where the 4x10's used to be.

This is what has been done to mine, along with the big bootied sub box with the 15" subs, but even with the subs off, and the EQ settings set right, it sounds a ton better than the stock setup ever did.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  10. tuffdogstudio

The center speakers are a little whack right now but after trying the factory dash location in the install process I tried the center location and I think it sound better in my system, remember I was just adding in front fill.

Like I said in the post, the dash speakers will get a nice install when I put in the new dash, for now they are just 'in there".

Overall the sound is decent.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

as for deck locations, i am thinking of putting the heat control in the radio location (cutting out dash), and building a console to fin in the center up on the roof,have my radio tiling down with a cb behind, and maybe a changer my bro gave me, keep all the electronics high and out of the water.

12. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

How do you roll down your windows with those speakers in the door panel?

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

um, he uses his index finger, and "pushes the little switch up or down" :D

:p:

i know what ya meant, j/k

14. tuffdogstudio

Speaker location doesn't affect window operation at all, basically the speaker is just in the plastic door panel. If you shop around you can find 6.25 speakers with shallow mounting depths, you have just about 2" room to play with in the location I used.

FWIW, I used a dremel ratary tool to cut out the speaker holes, same applies for th rear A/C speakers.

15. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl:

2" depth, WOW!! When speakers are that shallow wouldn't it have to affect their performance? I don't think I've ever seen a tweeter that shallow. Maybe I'm just out of date, as I haven't done a system in about 10 years. :D
    Wait, do you mean you had 2 inches left in play after mounting? If so, how deep are those speakers?

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just somewhat finished up the install of a bigger/new amp for the subs and two more tweeters, thought i'd post up some pics for ya to check out,,, :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. tuffdogstudio

Speaker performance probably is affected to some degree, not saying its perfect, just what I decided to do :)

Total mounting depth was about 2", the speaker magnet is touching the inner door panel. The speakers in the doors now are actually a tad deeper than 2" and the plastic panel bows outa a little.

As for not seeing a tweeter shallower than 2"... time to get outta the 80's horn tweeter craze, man :)

18. tuffdogstudio

Looks good man, I'm jelous of your clean/matching interior :)

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well thanks, and trust me when i say it's not clean, maybe cleaner than most, but i usually clean the seats and carpet every couple of months.

also in the process of cleaning up the trim alittle to try to fix the scratches i got when i used it for route delivery around here.

horn tweeters :haha: :haha: i remember those :haha: thought they were cool :haha: :haha: then! :haha:

20. tuffdogstudio

Mines a real Junk Yard Dawg... supposed to be factory tan interior... PO put in grey office carpet, grey bucket seats out of a burban, I just added a blue center console and have to put in some blue ohh **** handles I got at the time of the center console, did luck out and score a nearly new rear factory cargo mat for the back... thinking its time to redo the headline in desert cammo to finish off the "look" :woot: