Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burb wants to die when put in gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tx_sub, Sep 16, 2006.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

91 1500 Burb 350tbi/700

When I shift from park into reverse and especially drive, the engine bogs down to just above stall, and sometimes dies. When in P or N, it has a higher idle rpm. Rev's drop when shifted into forward or reverse. I think I have a vac leak between my manifold and brake booster, as I can tell an idle fluctuation when I depress the brakes, but its not a big rpm change.

I don't think I have any other vac leaks. Many of the lines have been changed in the last year. I'm thinking that the computer changes the idle when in gear and its not the right rpm, or my transmission is not fully disengaging from the crank and its taking a few seconds for the computer to increase the idle to compensate for the additional drag.
    Thanks for the help brothers.

2. rtrotter

rtrotter Registered Member

That sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. If you're running lean, it may not be noticeable when in park or neutral, because there is no load on your engine, but when you put it in drive or reverse, the load causes the rpms to drop, and the engine will bog down. This might be easily fixed by running some injector cleaner through your fuel system. You may have clogged fuel filters, rails, or injectors. You could also have a clogged fuel pump. I am not familiar enough with tbi350's to know whether it could be a mixture problem, but it definately sounds like a fuel problem to me.

It could also be an ignition or timing issue, but I doubt it's that if it just started happening out of the blue...

If some fuel injector cleaner fixes it, it would be a good idea pour in some octane booster/fuel system treatment the next few times you fill up.

Good luck

Rob

3. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

it may be a timing issue.. check your distributor to see if it came loose, mine did and I had very similar problems

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you not getting any codes? TPS issues or a dirty IAC passage/faulty motor could cause problems like this. Can you run WinALDL to see what's happening?