Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

burban being dumb

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jun 26, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

my friend has a 90 Burban and its being dumb! he will drive down the road and it will make some weird grinding/tinking noise when not accelerating.. i thought it might be a bad u-joint in the rear.. or could it be the front? not sure.. should he replace them front and rear and see what happens? anybody have this problem? and also what kind of t-case is it? thanx 4 the help

2. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

sometimes mine does that. i dont know what it is but it gets kinda annoying. i think it might be something in the trans or a bad mounst in that area. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Replace the rear u-joints for good measure.

Also, if it's 4 wheel drive, leave the front u-joints alone - they aren't spinning when in 2wd. BUT, if it's 4wd, definitely swap out the auto hubs for some manual ones.

The combo of new joints in the rear and manual locking hubs should cure the most common grinding/ticking noises these trucks experience. If it still does it, time to dive deeper into the rearend or t-case or tranny or etc.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That's a NP 241 transfer case, just clean it up and look for the round tag on the back....

5. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well ok, recently he had his rearend rebuilt because he blew it up.. so i dont think its in the diff, he put all new gears in, but we havent changed the u-joints, but he does have manual hubs, do u think we should take them out, clean them and grease it back up?
    thanx! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Nah, leave the manual hubs alone until after you change out the rear u-joints.

Is there vibration at speeds above, say, 45mph? If not, don't go swapping the u-joints without checking them first. Grab the driveshaft and shake it up and down, left and right, back and forth. If there's no play in the u-joints, don't change them. If there is play, swap them out for new ones, and you should be good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

flex plate, right Muddy?

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Not a bad thought /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

flexplates rattle wen yur accelerating, wen yur jus coasting along they dont make noise. if they get really bad they'll rattle wen you shift in 2nd, if theyre about to fly apart into a thousand pieces they'll rattle going into 3rd too. trust me i kno.

10. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    flex plate, right Muddy?

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey kinda sounds dumb, what are the flex plates? it usually does it when he doesnt have his foot on the gas and when its slowing down..?

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. muddysub

the flexplate goes between the touque converter and the crankshaft. and holds the ring gear for the starter.

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Muddy that is your experience. My flexplate would rattle at idle and quiet down under load after stepping on the gas. They are all different. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

still sounds like its falling apart, at the least coming loose from either the crank or the torque converter. I'd get under there and take a look. Pull the inspection cover and look /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hmmm.. i understand a little more now! well if it is that, is it easy to replace, or fix it? could it just be loose?
    thanx for the pic!

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you get under there and find that its loose, i'd be for looking at it closely to see why i came loose, typically cracks cause it to come loose.

But to change one (i've change one 4 times in 3 months time on my burb) remove starter, unbolt bellhousing from motor, unbolt both driveshafts from t-case, unbolt t-case crossmember and slide the tranny/t-case combo back enough to get to the bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. muddysub

if it is cracked the inside of the inspection cover will be grooved and youll be able to see where it has been rubbing

18. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Do you still want to get the stub shaft for your rig? If you wanted to come out in the burb, I can listen to it when you are out here, and maybe help figure out what's up. Jimmyjack just replaced his recently due to noises like that. If he needs a new flexplate, we are getting pretty good at unbolting trannys/case/etc lately. Let me know

Erich