Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BURBAN Question!!! I need to STOP rust, what to do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 14, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I was finally able to lay eyes on the new Burb last night. Its an 89 3/4 ton 4WD Burb, pretty much SPOTLESS. I bought this truck from Westy, who was TOTALLY cool for letting this super clean truck go! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anywho, the ONLY place there is any rust is on the bottom inside of the rear barn doors. Its just starting under there, just like a 5-6" spot on the very bottom of the door. Just surface rust too... Whats the BEST way to put a stop to the rust now while its just starting up? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I really want to keep this truck CLEAN!

All suggestions welcome!

-Dan

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Zakk, post that thing you say...

This thread is useless without pics. Where are the Pics Dan!!! People want to see that rig.

I bought some rust killer stuff at AZ, its water based paint on with a brush. Turns the rust into paintable primer. Worked good on my floor after I sandblasted it.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive used POR-15 and it seems to be good stuff. Just clean the area up good with a wire brush and them be sure there is no dirt or grease.
    I might have a small can left if you want it. I little bit goes a long way.

Also, you should probably check the inside of those doors.

4. KRAZIE87K5

I believe you are talking about this Neil:

[​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

All the pics I have so far, are in the dark with the truck covered in 1100 miles of road crap. But here ya go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wadda ya think?

-Dan

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how much you pic that up for? Thats a pretty nice looking burban, though I'm not sure I should ask about the wire going from the grill through the cab. I agree with the one before that wire brush/wheel and clean the area then apply a good rust inhibitor. You really need to clean the area up cause you may find that what looks just lik some surface rust is just what you can see and their may be some real rust around it.

6. KRAZIE87K5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I bought some rust killer stuff

[/ QUOTE ]
    Whats it called?

-Dan

7. Mudzer

Looks killer!

8. KRAZIE87K5

Thanks man! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait to start wrenchin on it! First, Bryan and I have to get his TWO rigs outta my driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif We start that saga on Sunday!

-Dan

9. KRAZIE87K5

The wires you see in the pics were put in place to flat tow it home. They were used to light the rear lights. I'll be taking them out eventually, but last night I was too excited... I was just standing there staring at her! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

10. Mudzer

Ill look at the bottle. I think I have two bottles I could mail you one.

11. KRAZIE87K5

Sweet! Otherwise, I'll hit up my local Napa, and get enuf to coat all the under side of the doors! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You think that one bottle would suffice for 6 doors? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-Dan

12. Mudzer

Definately, it is concentrated, you mix it with water. It does work man!!! PM your address again and I will mail it out next week when I can get to UPS.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

prep the hell out of the area, POR15 it, then Line-X it. Rust problem solved. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the ONLY place there is any rust is on the bottom inside of the rear barn doors. Its just starting under there, just like a 5-6" spot on the very bottom of the door.

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF?!?! I must have missed something here! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Where exactly was this surface rust? Can you get a better shot, a close up, of the area you found?

You can always give the Sub back to me if you don't want it! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

15. KRAZIE87K5

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Give it back? I think not big guy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif There is just a HINT of rust beginning on the rear doors themselves. If you open the doors, and look on the very bottom where the "lip" is at, there is just a tiny sign of rust there.

No matter which way you cook it though, this Burb is B - U - TEE - FUL!!!!

I think that I may take rust prevention measures on the bottom side of ALL the doors, just to be sure that this baby is staying rust free for a LONG TIME!!!

-Dan

16. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

The POR15 idea is a good one. Best stuff I've found yet.