Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burning #6 plug wire ALOT!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm getting about 2 weeks out of the #6 plug wire these days before the boot starts melting off. Granted these are lifetime wires, but I'm tired of replacing them every two weeks, free or not. Does anyone have an idea of why it's that one wire? I don't have any guards or heat sheilds on my motor, so do I need to try and find some? Any suggestions on GOOD wires that don't burn down in 5 minutes?

Thanks

**EDIT** I'm not running anything Hi Perf. No headers, anything. Just a bone stock TBI 350

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is that wire getting closer to the manifolds than others? If so, like it's working its way "loose", maybe some of those plug wire "clips" that tie two wires together. Wires 6 and 8 on my motor actually face each other (angled boots, turned towards each other) before they go "up", so they pass between the two exhaust ports as far from either as possible.

If the engine isn't running right, excessively hot engine exhaust manifolds can be a problem, ever seen them (or just that side) glowing hot?

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

To me, it looks no different than any of the other wires. The #5 wire also gets burned through, just not as fast. I have regular 90* boots on mine, no nifty angles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My guess is that with the warmer weather, maybe it is holding more heat under the hood, that in addition to it being tucked in behind the exhaust manifold is causing it to get REAL hot, instead of just warm and toasty like the others.

I'm at a loss, well, not really, I know I've got to change that wire out when I get home /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif With new wires, the truck seems to run great. I've never noticed one glowing or anything. I know I need a new O2 sensor, but it actually runs real nice, with that wire fixed...

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

for aabout 50-60 bucks you can buy a set of kevlar boots, (i think its kevlar)

you put them on all your spark plug boots and they wont let them burn up,

if its just a few wires you can buy them in packs of 2 for like 12 bucks apiece i think.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

don't tuck them in behind the exhaust, keep e'm as far away as possible. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

hey
    you shouldnt have to worry about the tempreture outside. becasue i have a black blazer and i live in phx. sometimes i dam near burn my hands when i try rolling down the windows. i have msd wires that i have had over a year and i have never burnt any. you might want to brake out some zip ties and see if you can align them differently.

7. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

I would think you should get the heat shields on first. GM put them there for a reason I'm thinking.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif <--me thinking Good luck!!

Allan

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I think I may have found a set out in the garage last night. This weekend I'll put them on and see if I can get any more life out of them.

There's not a lot of *rearranging* I can do here, the boots are getting melted through. I can turn the boot 12 ways from Sunday, but that doesn't mean much when they never get farther away from the exhaust...

Thanks for the help guys.

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I don't know if Keith fixed his yet, but was having the same problem. He changed a wire and burned through a brand new one before we were an hour away.

Depdog

10. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

You could also thermal wrap the headers or manifolds which ever you have and that should cut down on the heat alot.
    king