Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burning Oil ? what seals ? stop it ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Mar 10, 2002.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I have a tired 350 in my truck and i believe it's starting to burn some oil. It doesn't leak it. trust me, i've done the seals. The question is, what causes an engine to burn oil and how can i stop it besides a new crate ram jet 502 ? is it the rings on the pistons or is it somewhere in the heads ?
    thanks guys
    blake

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's two things to consider(There's probably more but I'm not that much of an engine guy):

1. Worn rings/worn cylinder walls

2. Worn or missing valve guides

Does the truck ALWAYS smoke? I've used a product called Restore with pretty good results on a straght-6 in and old Chev pickup. Other than that, it looks like you'll have to tear into the motor to find out.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do a compression check. If it comes up good it's valve guide seals. Looking $40 in parts. $50 for a special tool to do the job while the engine is together.

4. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

hehe, and a REAL PAIN IN THE A$$ if its the rings /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Do what I'm doing and go buy a block and an engine stand and paycheck to paycheck it together

5. ColAdo82K5

the engine doesn't smoke at all, but the oil level will slowly go down between changes. i will do a compression check soon.

6. ColAdo82K5

What are some of the details with the valve guide seals ? what does it take to put new ones in ? the new engine will have to wait, i'm in the middle of body work and some suspension suff.
    blake

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When you say "goes down slowly" between oil changes, how much are you talking about. You can expect a SBC to go through 1 or 1 1/2 litres of oil between changes. "Using" oil is normal, but burning oil is not.

8. dnboc

dnboc Registered Member

Details would be great on replacing the valve guide seals, my 350 blows a large puff of white smoke when it seats awhile. Got a quote from local shop to redo the valve seals for $565 bucks, doing it for $100 would be great. Thanks