Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burning Oil; Where To Start

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, May 22, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

My truck has been rapidly burning oil. Any ideas of where to start? It's not leaking a drop. Burned about 1 qt. in 120 miles of freeway driving.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

yikes... that seems pretty excessive...

I say rip out the motor and put in a stroker 383... I know you can get 400hp 450lb/ft for under 2k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Two first things to check would be valves and rings. run a compression check on all your cylinders and record the values. After you check each one, squirt a little oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and check compression again. If you have a bad ring (or more than one), the compression will be low, but will increase a bit when you add the oil (oil on top of the piston helps the ring seal). If it is a bad valve adding the oil should have no effect.

A couple quick visual checks. Pull your PCV valve after driving and see if it is dripping oil. Maybe you dropped a valve cover baffle. Are you running aftermarket valve covers? Do they have a baffle? (Mine don't and I suck a ton of oil through the PCV at highway speeds)

Check your plus - are you sure it's burning? If it is your plugs will be a crusty black. If they're fine, check for oil in the coolant, you may have blown a head gasket.

All I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck

C.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Doesn't that thing have a stroked motor in it?

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is a 383 stroked in there. Yes I do have aftermarket valve covers. Yes I will check them. And thank you for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks,
    Andrew