Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

burning oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lamberthkp, Feb 23, 2006.

1. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i recently put a new cam kit in my blazer and have been burning oil on the right side out the exh. the truck never smoked before until i changed the springs. im thinking maybe i messed up one of the VALVE STEM SEALS on that side or put it on wrong or something and am going to replace them this weekend . anyone else got an idea or am i right . thanks ,Keenan

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Being a lazy man, I'd pull the plugs on that side yet to see if one (or more) of them is not like the others.

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

OK, this is a quesiton, but isn't there only two ways of oil to get into the combusiton chamber to smoke out the tail pipe, spring guides or rings? If that is true, it seems pretty unlikely that changing your cam coincided with a ring on a piston deciding not to seal.

4. lamberthkp

well i just pulled the plugs and non seem to have burned any oil , actually i pulled both sides they are all clean they still look brand new. i wonder if it will stop when i get my new tbi chip for engine mods. it only smokes when i idle after few min and i think thats the only time i use oil about 1/2 to 1qt a week.
    when driving down the road my oil pressure is about 6to8 lbs lower when driving down the road . i norm. run 36-40 now im 30-33.

any ideas!

5. lamberthkp

i did drive to charlotte NC from jville NC this weekend and back and did not use a drop. but now that im back in town driving slow and stoping and going its use'n it again.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

So, would you say that during lower vacuum operation it doesn't chew oil, but at higher vacuum it does?

7. lamberthkp

im gunna put the chip in and see what happens , should be here this week or next

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006