Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burning oil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 31, 2000.

Hey everybody. I think my blazer is burning a little bit of oil. I can smell it (especially when I have the back window open and when the trannie drops into a lower gear). But it doesn't seem to be losing too much out of the crankcase. Is there a possibility it is something else and how can I fix whatever it is? Thanks.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Where does your exhaust exit? Out the Back. Are you positive it is oil you smell? Can you smell burnt oil when you pop the hood?. Check under the hood. If you exhuast exits out the back you will smell a lot of exhaust with the window down or part way down.

Check Valvecovers for leaks onto the exhaust manifolds.

Good luck let me know what happens

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>This happened to me, and it is caused by a few things. I would also check the valve covers because that could be it. Another possibility is that the valve seals are bad. this would let oil past the valves and into the combustion chamber. The worst possibility is that you have bad rings/sratched cylinder wall, in which case, you will need an engine rebuild or replacement. run a compression test first, that will tell you if oil is getting past the rings. Does it smoke real bad when you let off the gas?</font color=blue>

3. Thanks for the help. The exhaust is out the back. I think it is oil, but I am not 100%. I really can't smell oil under the hood but I will check again. Is it probably not burning oil if I can't smell it under the hood?

4. Thanks for the help. I will check all those things. It doesn't smoke except when I blow it out right after I start it. I can smell it (what smells like oil to me) when I let off the gas or drop the trannie into the passing gear.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>if it smokes when you let off the gas, your burning it. Have the valve seals replaced. if that doesn't work, then it's time for a rebuild. I got a few months out of my worn motor by running 3 quarts of synthetic and checking the oil daily, not letting it get below 3 quarts. This is enough oil to protect the crank and cam bearings, but not enough to get above the worn rings/cylinder walls and foul plugs whenever you start it (the problem i had). it sounds stupid, but it gave me enough time to have a motor built for me. good luck!</font color=blue>